Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Picture quality on non-HD channels  (Read 5487 times)

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
Picture quality on non-HD channels
« on: 27 March 2014, 22:54:15 »
Advertisement
I don't know if it's me or not but watching non-HD channels on my new 42" HD TV don't seem as sharp as they used to on my old 32"  :-\

If it's not me then it must be that the lower quality resolution is more noticeable on a larger screen as it has more screen to fill !?

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
Re: Picture quality on non-HD channels
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2014, 00:20:00 »
It's not you. The giveaway is the sound on these SD channels as well. Notice you have to turn the volume up more, then switch to HD and it's really loud…

It gets worse on bigger displays.

The quality of these SD channels even brings disgrace to the meaning of standard definition.
Originally known as Quasimoto

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2014, 00:36:15 »
Try sitting further back from your TV Curly, the larger screen magnifies the lower and poorer quality of SD.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2014, 09:56:50 »
It's not you. The giveaway is the sound on these SD channels as well. Notice you have to turn the volume up more, then switch to HD and it's really loud…
Yes that used to happen at first but I have since turned on the Auto Volume feature which equalises the volume levels when switching channels.

I can't believe that it is off by default !

It gets worse on bigger displays.
In that case I am glad that I didn't opt for a 52" which I was going to do but the high price put me off !

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2014, 10:02:49 »
Try sitting further back from your TV Curly, the larger screen magnifies the lower and poorer quality of SD.
I don't want to move too far away as I like the bigger screen size !

I have now subscribed to the HD package for only an extra fiver a month and will keep it this time.

Last time it was £10 and I didn't really see as much difference as I do now on a bigger TV screen.

In actual fact I am not subscribing to the HD package but the Entertainment Extra Plus package which gives you boxsets on demand and you get the HD channels as an extra.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2014, 12:04:50 »
High definition TV and blu-ray movies are fine but I have also noticed that watching DVD's is a bit of a blurry experience despite the upscaling process.

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2014, 12:29:51 »
Just as a matter of interest, which make / type is your new 42" TV, some are better than others.

My living room Panasonic Plasma 50" TV seems to display SD pictures far better than the 26" LG. LCD in my bedroom.

snadge

« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2014, 13:27:43 »
same picture...ur just sitting closer to it by getting a larger screen  (technically) - there are optimal seating distances for screens

the reason sound and PQ is better on HD speaks for itself...higher bitrates and on-the-fly 5.1-to-2.0 conversion

steve195527

« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2014, 15:15:27 »
its always been the same because as the picture area becomes larger the info has to be "spread out" more to fill the screen,the picture on a 32inc and a 42inch in non HD still contain the same number of lines(625 in the uk,in total:-576 used for picture info),even in the old days of cathode ray tubes in general smaller TVs gave a sharper picture

snadge

« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2014, 16:15:23 »
the 'average' household size is 42" - larger rooms will require larger TV's and vice verse but most 'average' sized (2/3 up/down) house should be fine with 42" if they want a "large screen" TV

I think anyway

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2014, 18:14:02 »
snadge, America is nuts. Never knew how big most of their houses were. Most Americans have a minimum 60 inch. They all seem to talk 60 and bigger for their TV's.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2014, 20:54:32 »
Just as a matter of interest, which make / type is your new 42" TV, some are better than others.
It's a Samsung UE42F5000

I'm not that bothered about the poor display of standard definition as I expect it will be phased out in time with only HD channels broadcast.

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2014, 21:12:49 »
Curly, do you have a DVD burner?

If not, get this…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spears-Munsil-Benchmark-Calibration-Edition/dp/B00CKWI13O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396041265&sr=8-1&keywords=hdtv+calibration

I always find most HDTV's the black levels are either set too high, or too low and you see black crush. Same for the sharpness patterns. Some people like really sharp pictures but it's adding nothing except artificial information. It has good sharpness patterns.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 28 March 2014, 23:08:14 »
Curly, do you have a DVD burner?

If not, get this…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spears-Munsil-Benchmark-Calibration-Edition/dp/B00CKWI13O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396041265&sr=8-1&keywords=hdtv+calibration

Yes I have a DVD burner but don't see the point as I have no issue with HD or blu-ray  :-\

Edit: unless it will help with standard definition too but the price is a bit steep if it doesn't work for this.

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: 29 March 2014, 10:11:40 »
No, thats not anything to do with picture quality, well it does in another aspect. Most TV's don't have the black level set correctly. As is sharpness.

Or you could download the free version that most use and burn to DVD to set the basics on their TV. http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

Fair play if you don't want to.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 29 March 2014, 10:16:25 »
No, thats not anything to do with picture quality, well it does in another aspect. Most TV's don't have the black level set correctly. As is sharpness.

Or you could download the free version that most use and burn to DVD to set the basics on their TV. http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

Fair play if you don't want to.
Thanks yes I'll do that  ;)

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 29 March 2014, 11:20:27 »
Curly, if you really want see poor picture quality, try the new BonanzaBonanza Channel on Freeview.. lol:1

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: 29 March 2014, 12:12:02 »
Curly, if you really want see poor picture quality, try the new BonanzaBonanza Channel on Freeview.. lol:1
I have never got Freeview on my new TV as I have always connected it to Sky lol

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: 29 March 2014, 12:17:10 »
Sky News looks awful on Freeview. Looks like Youtube 2003/4.

Though, interesting. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1942485

Originally Posted by galleonslap
It's a business. Having bad SD helps persuade people to pay extra for HD.

Its bad practice but yes good business! I suppose the deinterlacing & upscaling and the downscaling & reinterlacing is done by cheap hardware though, and no one wants to pay too much for a Sky box I suppose!

Sky's sd picture is 544x576 resulting in softer edges.

Was gonna say that but you beat me to it.
When Sky acquired the Virgin media channels (Living, Bravo etc) overnight, they reduced them from 720 x 576i to 544 x 576i

Sky Sports & Sky News are the only Sky SD channels that are 720 or 704 in horizontal resolution.
Everything else is 544, including movies & box office.
The PQ is appalling.