Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sky VS Virgin for Picture Quality  (Read 4192 times)

snadge

Sky VS Virgin for Picture Quality
« on: 14 February 2014, 08:20:41 »
Advertisement
wondered if anyone had any opinions on this? as Iam trying to convince the missus to switch to Virgin just so I can try out the 100Mb broadband but my concern is the picture quality because at some stage (when we can afford it...next year maybe) we will be buying a 42" Samsung Smart TV and Im quite happy with PQ of sky channels, my neighbour has Virgin (albeit on old box and CRT TV) but I could still see pixelation and thought the PQ was poor in comparison)

anyone?

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
Re: Sky VS Virgin for Picture Quality
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2014, 12:12:13 »
My Daughter has Virgin, I cannot see any real difference in picture quality to that from Sky, the only real bonus is the fact that " snow on the dish " isn't a problem with Virgin.  ;)

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2014, 14:51:54 »
Triple tuner with Virgin I heard is so nice. Record two watch a third.
Originally known as Quasimoto

snadge

« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2014, 08:32:48 »
thanx for replies... guess I wil have to take my TV next door lol... thing is his box is like 10 years old or something so will have poor decoder chips etc, although im sure he had a upgrade...could be wrong. if he has i will probably try it out hehe

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2014, 08:56:12 »
My Daughter has Virgin, I cannot see any real difference in picture quality to that from Sky, the only real bonus is the fact that " snow on the dish " isn't a problem with Virgin.  ;)
Don't you only get that with analogue ?

With digital you just get pixellation and fortunately it only happens in heavy rain !

snadge

« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2014, 09:13:32 »
ive ONCE had issues with pixelation on sky in 8 years....and that was in extreme thunder storms.. as mentioned digital carries FEC like ADLS and corrects missing data

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2014, 10:42:30 »

With digital you just get pixellation and fortunately it only happens in heavy rain !

No, I had snow on my dish last winter. I mean it was caked. Lost the picture on both Sky boxes. Had to use the brush to clear it before it came back.

Also once, there was an owl on the LNB that blocked out the signal.

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2014, 11:54:46 »

It shouldn't reall happen in heavy rain, tho' I know it does.

There is a cure, get your Zone 1 dish changed for a slightly larger Zone 2 dish. The Zone 1 dish is only just big enough in poor conditions, that is if it is installed correctly, which most are not.

Zone 2 dishes are fitted as standard somehere around north of York.

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2014, 12:56:02 »
Heavy rain can still kill the signal but the clouds must be really dark and the heavens to open before it kills the signal.

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2014, 13:06:50 »
Heavy rain can still kill the signal but the clouds must be really dark and the heavens to open before it kills the signal.

It's never ever killed my signal, but then I do have a 1 metre motorised dish..  ;)

I have a 1.3 metre dish in Spain, but that is is really on it's limits, a shower will knock out some channels there. :(

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2014, 21:20:23 »
ive ONCE had issues with pixelation on sky in 8 years....and that was in extreme thunder storms.. as mentioned digital carries FEC like ADLS and corrects missing data
Same here. I rarely get a pixellated picture nowadays where as on analogue I used to get sparklies almost every week !

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2014, 21:21:48 »

It shouldn't really happen in heavy rain, tho' I know it does.

There is a cure, get your Zone 1 dish changed for a slightly larger Zone 2 dish. The Zone 1 dish is only just big enough in poor conditions, that is if it is installed correctly, which most are not.

Zone 2 dishes are fitted as standard somewhere around north of York.
I don't know how much Zone 2 dishes cost or where to get them from but in any case I'll manage as things are as it happens so infrequently that it's not worth the additional expense.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum

snadge

« Reply #13 on: 16 February 2014, 07:15:37 »
GUESS WHAT!!!

a women came into work today asking about freesat as she is with Virgin but wants to move, i kindly went on freesat website and printed off the channels you get.

I asked about PQ as she said she had Sky before Virgin and it was great - SHE SAID THE PQ WAS MUCH BETTER ON SKY THAN VIRGIN, I asked if she was using an LCD with HDMI>? and she said "IM SURE I WAS"

so thats put me right off...gunna ask on AVforums... like i say my neighbours looked poor.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: 16 February 2014, 16:48:26 »
Thats the problem I had. Gravel, ladders, ladders shift, 20ft up on roughcast. Sky guy had to fire a bolt into the lower part of the brickwork to secure the strap to the ladder.

AlecR

« Reply #16 on: 16 February 2014, 20:39:58 »
GUESS WHAT!!!

a women came into work today asking about freesat as she is with Virgin but wants to move, i kindly went on freesat website and printed off the channels you get.

I asked about PQ as she said she had Sky before Virgin and it was great - SHE SAID THE PQ WAS MUCH BETTER ON SKY THAN VIRGIN, I asked if she was using an LCD with HDMI>? and she said "IM SURE I WAS"

so thats put me right off...gunna ask on AVforums... like i say my neighbours looked poor.

It's all very subjective until you find out if Virgin's bitrate is lower than Sky's. Then (and only then), can you definitively say Sky is better than Virgin (or vice versa).