Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hosts say we need dedicated server  (Read 1600 times)

snadge

Hosts say we need dedicated server
« on: 22 January 2014, 22:04:00 »
Advertisement
our new hosts are saying that we are using too much memory and need to shift too dedicated hosting and this is why we are getting the odd 500 error, I dont believe we are and IF we are then its not no fault of ours as this has only been happening since switching to TSO

Iam now worried that they have corrupted the forum during the transfer, if it turns out we move hosts again and have to 'reset' the forum to fix it then it will take me forever to put the theme, portal and all the guides back in.

thing is when i check logs it has all green ticks next too memory (13%) and page file (0.19%) indicating no issues... they also can not tell me which process in the forum is causing this "500Mb VM usage" - also VM stands for Virtual Memory which is 'page-file' in which case 500Mb is nothing?? - I dont feel confident that they actually know what they are doing.

peed off  >:(

so for now IU have removed Tapatalk....again!! and some other mods

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
Re: Hosts say we need dedicated server
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2014, 22:09:42 »
They have upped it to 800mb per process

snadge

« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2014, 22:12:09 »
i have removed Tapatalk again and some other mods

snadge

« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2014, 22:22:39 »
[Wed Jan 22 21:58:44 2014] [error] [client 188.29.xxx.176] File does not exist: /home/techtalk/public_html/mobiquo

sigh!!!  :(

getn bloody sick of this...might just kill everything and reset the forum

AlecR

« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2014, 08:27:45 »
Damn it, I always used Tapatalk.

snadge

« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2014, 09:30:09 »
Damn it, I always used Tapatalk.

Iam waiting to see if removing it has made any difference

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2014, 14:55:15 »
Why does hosting this forum cause so many problems ?

You have changed hosts at least 3 times since I've been a member !

I am a member of a few other forums and they don't get the problems you get  :-\

Mind you these other forums have a few sponsored Google ads to help pay for the hosting hosts.

Perhaps this could be the answer ?

snadge

« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2014, 15:45:32 »
which forums do you use? - a large popular forum will probably be on dedicated hosting....and why they have no issues... something we could not afford.

as for the google ads ive tried to sign up but got rejected!

unfortunately this is the problem with shared hosting...its limited, also I bet most forums dont have as many modifications as we do - I could quite easily reset the forum so it looks like any old forum without the homepage or buttons/guides and features that it has - but at the end of the day weve never had any problems with previous hosts with OUR website...its always been downtime because of shared hosting problems...now TSO say its our website

Offline KRW

Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2014, 20:00:28 »
which forums do you use? - a large popular forum will probably be on dedicated hosting....and why they have no issues... something we could not afford.
As an example. It doesn't have dedicated hosting and is rather basic compared to this forum but it never seems to have speed issues or downtime.

as for the google ads ive tried to sign up but got rejected!
That's strange as they are turning down potential advertising revenue.

Perhaps they only bother with large forums with a lot of internet traffic ?

unfortunately this is the problem with shared hosting...its limited, also I bet most forums dont have as many modifications as we do - I could quite easily reset the forum so it looks like any old forum without the homepage or buttons/guides and features that it has - but at the end of the day weve never had any problems with previous hosts with OUR website...its always been downtime because of shared hosting problems...now TSO say its our website
No you are right there are very few modifications to forums that I'm on about, they look much the same.

snadge

« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2014, 22:32:24 »
SMF Support say while its not impossible its unlikely to be our forum - they have never heard of any process using such an amount of memory - they say the hosts should be able to pin-point the process thats the cause, if they can not then it sounds a bit sus...

Ive put it too TSO asking why this "limiting" only works for 1 second by blocking the page the user is trying to access but then allows access immediatley after?? doesnt sound right to me, if were using well over 500Mb then it should be blocking us until we stop using over 500Mb...therefore site should not be accessible until then..right?? no answer from them on that!

also why throw a 500 Internal Server Error problem? you would think it would say "your site has been limited" in the logs or something??

SMF also state that any problems with dodgy code that the forum would halt with a error telling you which code/process is at fault, it would not throw 500 error, so something does not add up!

I guess we are just having bad luck with hosts - tempted to go back to EZPZ as they were the best...when they didnt have DDoS attacks etc