Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Norton does not detect PUPs  (Read 1715 times)

snadge

Norton does not detect PUPs
« on: 08 January 2014, 13:14:14 »
Advertisement
PUP = Potentially Unwanted Program - in other words spyware/unwanted program that comes bundled with another you have installed as a way of increasing revenue for the programs creators

My manager brought in his laptop for me too look at last week, he had Norton Internet Security on and his machine was heavily infected with about 10 PUP's (over 100 detections in MalwareBytes) - he was getting pop ups telling him drivers were out of date and to download install them via these links, also web-pages were being hi-jacked redirecting links to pages they werent pointing too (which leads to purchases), home page had been hijacked, toolbars installed and all manner of other pop ups, I couldn't believe that NIS had let all this in...and worst of all does NOT have a PUP option like Avast and most other AV's

Even though these PUP's come bundled with software the user downloads and installs...a lot of the time it is unbeknown to them, you cant expect every joe blogg to know about these, Norton should be protecting its users from themselves!!

here is a response from a Norton 'guru' on their forums about PUP Open Candy:

Hi Pooka,

The term PUP suggests "Potentially Unwanted Program"  which is sometimes downloaded as an add-on to a program you willingly download.  This type of program Norton does not readily indentify as dangerous - as you permitted the download.  This is sometimes an add-on while you are downloading a program you desire (you missed the check mark to stop the download).  Basically Norton did not ID it, as you permitted the download.

That said, tied with the running opf NPE, MalwareBytes and an Adware cleaner, I am sure if we did refer you to the Malware Discussion Board, our resident Malware Removalist (Quads) will opt not to assist you.  With that thought in mind and no one else here as qualified as he is to assist you I would suggest you go to a Malware Removal Forum for assistance.
Here are some places where a real malware expert can work with you one-on-one in real time to dig these things out. Some of our best folks here have checked them out to make sure that they are capable, and competent to deal with rootkits and other nasties. Most of them handle tricky Windows problems as well.

to me that comment above is ridiculous, just because a user initiates a download does not mean it should not be scanned.

Anyway, my manager asked why Norton didnt protect him from those, I told him that he should ask Symantec that, but I also said that all AV's cant protect you from everything and its always best having a dedicated spyware program as most AV's are weak against Spyware

steve195527

Re: Norton does not detect PUPs
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2014, 15:10:48 »
PUP = Potentially Unwanted Program - in other words spyware/unwanted program that comes bundled with another you have installed as a way of increasing revenue for the programs creators

My manager brought in his laptop for me too look at last week, he had Norton Internet Security on and his machine was heavily infected with about 10 PUP's (over 100 detections in MalwareBytes) - he was getting pop ups telling him drivers were out of date and to download install them via these links, also web-pages were being hi-jacked redirecting links to pages they werent pointing too (which leads to purchases), home page had been hijacked, toolbars installed and all manner of other pop ups, I couldn't believe that NIS had let all this in...and worst of all does NOT have a PUP option like Avast and most other AV's

Even though these PUP's come bundled with software the user downloads and installs...a lot of the time it is unbeknown to them, you cant expect every joe blogg to know about these, Norton should be protecting its users from themselves!!

here is a response from a Norton 'guru' on their forums about PUP Open Candy:

Hi Pooka,

The term PUP suggests "Potentially Unwanted Program"  which is sometimes downloaded as an add-on to a program you willingly download.  This type of program Norton does not readily indentify as dangerous - as you permitted the download.  This is sometimes an add-on while you are downloading a program you desire (you missed the check mark to stop the download).  Basically Norton did not ID it, as you permitted the download.

That said, tied with the running opf NPE, MalwareBytes and an Adware cleaner, I am sure if we did refer you to the Malware Discussion Board, our resident Malware Removalist (Quads) will opt not to assist you.  With that thought in mind and no one else here as qualified as he is to assist you I would suggest you go to a Malware Removal Forum for assistance.
Here are some places where a real malware expert can work with you one-on-one in real time to dig these things out. Some of our best folks here have checked them out to make sure that they are capable, and competent to deal with rootkits and other nasties. Most of them handle tricky Windows problems as well.

to me that comment above is ridiculous, just because a user initiates a download does not mean it should not be scanned.

Anyway, my manager asked why Norton didnt protect him from those, I told him that he should ask Symantec that, but I also said that all AV's cant protect you from everything and its always best having a dedicated spyware program as most AV's are weak against Spyware
Its well known re norton and pups,does seem a daft policy in some ways,i just run malwarebytes free occasionally but to be honest that as never found anything Norton has let through

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
Originally known as Quasimoto