Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nikon L27 mini review  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
Nikon L27 mini review
« on: 03 January 2014, 15:33:12 »
Advertisement
I got a Nikon , for Christmas , was hoping for a Haseleblad with digital back ,
but Santa only had a Nikon L27 for me  :'(,
anyway did I need another compact digital camera ,  having got a Vivitar 8mp,
a Fuji 10Mp , now a Nikon 16.1 Mp
sure each step up in megapixels shows ,but not that noticeable for 6x4 snapshots  ,
first views on the Nikon , well it's a 39 camera at Sains & Tesco , I didn't expect much , it's a point and shoot camera , but surprisingly it has other fairy advanced options  ( BTW the handbook supplied is crap , ) the online English version is downloadable and goes into more detail , also the disk is for XP Vista 7 & 8 
but only 64 bit O/s's   :o 32 bit is available on line , niggle over ,
how good is it , it beats my Fuji 10Mp , the old Vivitar 8Mp isn't in the running ,
and is now the  standby glove box camera ,
indeed the Nikons extra 6Mp shows  with full screen pics ,
the vid record @ HD 720p (1280x 720 ) looks good to me , ( it's a 39 camera !)
so far it's downside is the controls to me arn't intuitive ,
I had to go the online Manuel to set the time and date function , ( the flashing red clock was driving me nuts , )
end of the day I am happy with it ,
BTW it came with no memory card , just the internal 20 Mb , so I had to buy a 16Gb card (10) I used my scant nectar points  ;) , it gives 18 mins vid time or more than 1k pics ,
but I guess stand alone cameras are falling behind smart phones sales  etc, hence the low price ,
must admit I have a thing about multifunction tools , they do all things....... badly ,

Regards Luddite
Roco

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
Re: Nikon L27 mini review
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2014, 00:05:30 »
Great value for that money Roco, not sure that we actually need 16 mp, I reckon that is just a marketing tool, I set mine down to about 5mp for everyday use.

snadge

« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2014, 09:21:26 »
you are right about the megapixels... its all about the lens and sensor too... you can have 100mp but the quality of the capture is poo...  and also ive seen tests that show 6-8mp is enough for ANY size poster because even large billboard posters are designed for looking at distance therefore large megapixels arent required

I have a 10mp Panasonic TZ7 with 720p HD video (its 12.7mp sensor - extra pixels used for image stabilization) it has a 25-35mm lens and takes stunning quality images, when it came out it was THE best buy compat camera...that was in 2007

steve195527

« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2014, 09:40:06 »
you are right about the megapixels... its all about the lens and sensor too... you can have 100mp but the quality of the capture is poo...  and also ive seen tests that show 6-8mp is enough for ANY size poster because even large billboard posters are designed for looking at distance therefore large megapixels arent required

I have a 10mp Panasonic TZ7 with 720p HD video (its 12.7mp sensor - extra pixels used for image stabilization) it has a 25-35mm lens and takes stunning quality images, when it came out it was THE best buy compat camera...that was in 2007
I have an old 3.2meg canon powershot a70 which takes far better/sharper pics than a far newer Fuji that has 14 meg,so you're correct it isn't just the numbers that matter,got a dslr from olympus with only 8mp and that is better than any compact/phone or bridge camera I have ever tried

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2014, 11:33:09 »
I used to have a samsung 5mp and now have a 12mp Nikon the Samsung was a much better camera. I would rather use the camera on my phone then use the Nikon load of crap.

That's not saying your Nikon is crap Roco I'm just saying mine is.

steve195527

« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2014, 12:01:33 »
I used to have a samsung 5mp and now have a 12mp Nikon the Samsung was a much better camera. I would rather use the camera on my phone then use the Nikon load of crap.

That's not saying your Nikon is crap Roco I'm just saying mine is.
we are given samsungs through work to photograph any problems with loads or accidents,along with cameras fitted to trucks:-stops the crash for cash brigade trying it on,very good for what they pay for them

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2014, 13:11:49 »
This is my all time favourite for low light capture, fantastic little camera;

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2006/7/13/fujifilmf20