Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Creating WiFi Hotspot on desktop PC  (Read 9461 times)

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
Re: Creating WiFi Hotspot on desktop PC
« Reply #20 on: 30 October 2013, 00:53:02 »
Advertisement
Thanks very much for that Snadge.
I asked on the Billion forum and was told that they probably will not reply to my question as due to forum rules they will not assist in illegal behaviour  lol:1

snadge

« Reply #21 on: 30 October 2013, 14:57:14 »
HA - they closed my thread for the exact same reason lol

contact the manufacturers

suppose we didnt have to mention the aspect of trying to hide from company IT... just what you wanted to acheive

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #22 on: 30 October 2013, 15:36:21 »
One guy eventually replied and I did find the user manuals for the billion stuff. Software requires install by the looks of it.
I've installed winhotspot to my laptop and copied the files to my hard drive so will test run on another machine shortly.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #23 on: 31 October 2013, 18:11:24 »
Someone just linked me this little beauty from Maplin.

http://www.pqigroup.com/prod_in.aspx?mnuid=1286&modid=138&prodid=536

Pity you can't just plug it into USB although it may be an option!!

Unless of course I find a plug and play device like below then I could do it that way!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Compact-Plug-Play-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B007FRM1OY

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #24 on: 05 November 2013, 22:37:15 »
Ok guys, I have a new plan.
I spoke to the IT department on my current place and he suggested and said the easiest way would be to plug the ethernet from the server into a 4 port switch, Another to my computer and another cable to an pocket AP. That way it will just pass through the IP address given by the server.

Now what has confused me is others have said to switch DHCP off on stuff, Others have said to leave it on.

Does an ethernet switch allow me to directly pass on the IP address from the server to the output ports and not re-assign an IP address like a router would?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome. Remember I need to be stealth  ;D

Is it a switch or hub I require for this?

snadge

« Reply #25 on: 05 November 2013, 23:54:10 »
hmmmm now im confused lol

supposed to be stealth but your IT dept is helping you with it???

if they are letting you connect too the server to do what you want why are there any issues?

why do you need the IP address given by the server? - to gain this you need to use a router or switch with DHCP OFF and change its LAN IP address from say 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.200 - if the server its connecting too uses a different range then amend to match , e.g. 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.200 - this means your switch/router is now accessible at 192.168.0.200 (or 192.168.1.200) but with DHCP off the server its connected too should still assign the IP Addresses THROUGH your switch to devices connected to it... with DHCP off it acts like a "pass-through" and you can plug the LAN cable into any LAN port - I tried with an ADSL router and I had to manually assign IP address to my devices to get them connected to my switch/router with DHCP OFF cos for some reason it wasnt passing through...worked for my sister though... maybe my setup or devices uses (HG612 and DG834N)

switches come with a dedicated WAN port - never used them though but should be ok - if you have an old ADSL router you could use this, disable wifi, disable DHCP, set LAN IP address as above, save it, turn it off, connect it too server, turn it on and wait a few minutes and connect the computer and see if it has a connection...  if it doesnt go into the adapter properties and click on IPv4 settings and force a manual connection as it means the DHCP server is not passing through but you can still tell it your using one, use:

heres mine but you use: (X represents number according to what your IT dept, use)
IP ADDRESS: 192.168.X.199
SUBNET: 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY: 192.168.X.1  (is this fails try changing the 1 (the server) to the 200 (your switch)

as for DNS just use 8.8.8.8 - 8.8.4.4 which is googles..

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #26 on: 06 November 2013, 00:19:14 »
I'm speaking to the IT guy on my current vessel not to the IT on the one I'll be going to.
Thanks for the detailed description. Certainly clears a lot of stuff up and easier to understand.
I have several routers lying around gathering dust. Got a 834gt, new billion thing and a speed touch from BE.

I think what you just mentioned was the same as someone else about manually assigning an IP address through a router with dhcp off so it uses the same IP addressing as the works network.

I was told that in order to keep it stealth then having the IP range very similar to the network then it will be virtually invisible.
I'll rake out what the person said tomorrow when I'm at my desk.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #27 on: 06 November 2013, 00:26:02 »
You said a new billion thing is it the 7800 model if so it's a good router

snadge

« Reply #28 on: 06 November 2013, 00:32:58 »
it has to be on the same network too work. so "similar" is no good..

manual connections are always best and the reason i tell you to use 199 is to make sure it doesnt clash with another device on the ship thats being assigned one by the servers DHCP..

your router = 200
your PC = 199
server = 1

this means the server can dish out 198 addresses to 198 devices before causing issues...unlikely the server has 198 computers or devices connected does it? (all at once)

your PC says "here, im using 199" to the server on "1" through the pass through router "200"

some people say your switch IP would have to be outside the DHCP server range but its not true from what ive read...just as long as its high like 200 (no higher) and your fine, its for the reasons mentioned above

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #29 on: 06 November 2013, 11:45:24 »
Thanks again for unlocking the thread. No idea what happened there.

The Billion model I have is the 7800DXL I think. I bought it for my BE connection which will be useless in a few months. Might just sell it now. Still new in the box unused.

Anyway, I do still have my 834GT lying around so I guess it would be a case of:

- Connect to computer and login.
- Set DHCP to off. (To obtain IP address from the primary DHCP server from the network)
- Save and power down.
- Connect one ethernet cable to socket in wall then to LAN 1 on router.
- Connect Ethernet cable to LAN 2 on router to Desktop PC
- Power up.
- If issues remain then log in to router again and manually assign an IP range for the router.
- Reboot and try again.

Ok so how do I determine my IP range of the server on my ship? say my IPv4 address was 11.200.12.56 what would be my next port of call to determine what IP addresses I can assign on my router.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #30 on: 06 November 2013, 12:57:50 »
I would keep the billion good router that and dual band you could use it with other connections. I did read that BE customers going over to sky would be able to use there own router.

Is it this one http://mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/network-wifi/3463178/billion-bipac-7800dxl-review/

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #31 on: 06 November 2013, 13:24:36 »
I would keep the billion good router that and dual band you could use it with other connections. I did read that BE customers going over to sky would be able to use there own router.

Is it this one http://mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/network-wifi/3463178/billion-bipac-7800dxl-review/

Yeah that is the router I have. Bought it as soon as it was released in June/July and it has sat in the box since!!

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #32 on: 06 November 2013, 13:30:11 »
Sat in the box tut tut I'll have it for a tenner lol:1

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #33 on: 06 November 2013, 13:35:55 »
Haha yeah its shameful especially after all the research I done into trying to find the best router for my BE line. I guess I can still use it and when I go fiber just use it for its wireless capabilities.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #34 on: 06 November 2013, 13:38:36 »
Yea with fibre you obviously get the bt modem and the ISP'S own router which is usually poo so the billion would be hunky dory

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #35 on: 06 November 2013, 13:44:26 »
Saying that, The BE speedtouch wireless capabilities seem quite good. I have a pub near by me and if I go out the back of it I can pick up the wireless signal from my flat. Maybe with the Billion I'll be able to pick it up from inside the pub  lol:1

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #36 on: 06 November 2013, 13:51:14 »
You might be able to I can get signal on my asus about 60-70yds in a straight line

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #37 on: 06 November 2013, 13:59:41 »
You might be able to I can get signal on my asus about 60-70yds in a straight line

Well I have two months off work as of the 20th of this month so should give me a bit of time to play about with it  lol:1

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #38 on: 15 September 2014, 13:34:19 »
I played about with the PQI for a bit but found the firmware a little clunky. Plus I couldn't get the security settings to work correctly. Anyone would be able to log into it to change the setup.

I've since bought this which is very handy.

A Netgear Trek, Which is a traveller router.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2150850/netgear-trek-pr2000-travel-router-review-a-little-slower-but-a-whole-lot-cheaper.html

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/PR2000.aspx#tab-techspecs

It allows connecting this inline to my wired connection and runs off of USB power. Full control over things you would normally see on a full size router too all in the size of a post-it pad and for 24.

steve195527

« Reply #39 on: 15 September 2014, 21:57:03 »
sign up to bt ,use a bt hh5,don't disable the bt  wireless with fon thing,presto you are now part of the bt wireless network,nothing installed on your pc either!