Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Creating WiFi Hotspot on desktop PC  (Read 10136 times)

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
Creating WiFi Hotspot on desktop PC
« on: 28 October 2013, 19:41:16 »
Advertisement
Hey all,

Looking for some info.
I am wanting to turn my desktop PC into a WiFi hotspot so that I can connect my phone to it for Whatsapp messaging when abroad.

The desktop in question is linked to a network of computers. I know I can get a wireless USB dongle cheap enough. What I'm stuck on is trying to find a hotspot creator such as connectify that does not require installing of software etc. Something that can be run as a portable app so there is no trace of it on this desktop.

I know the Billion BiPAC 3011W Wireless-N 150Mbps USB Adapter can be plugged in and install its own drivers without the need of addition software so just looking for software that will create a hotspot without needing to install to a main hard drive of a computer and can run from a portable drive.

AlecR

Re: Creating WiFi Hotspot on desktop PC
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2013, 19:55:54 »
It can be done, but you'll need a wired connection into the PC in order to create a wireless one, if you only have one dongle.

snadge

« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2013, 19:57:46 »
maybe im in a hurry or vexed... but this one eludes me lol

I am wanting to turn my desktop PC into a WiFi hotspot so that I can connect my phone to it for Whatsapp messaging when abroad.

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2013, 20:01:55 »
maybe im in a hurry or vexed... but this one eludes me lol

Me to  :blank:  I think perhaps the op means they want to have remote access to the pc in question  ;)
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

snadge

« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2013, 20:10:56 »
whatsapp messaging uses wifi too send messages - so...why would you want to use wifi or LAN abroad to connect too your home computer to use whatsapp?? lol... im sure michty-me will put me right here...im tired, vexed and in the middle of a million and one things

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2013, 20:15:48 »
Ok how about I'll be stuck in the middle of the ocean but the works computer will be linked to the ships network.
I want to be able to create an untraceable hotspot so I can connect my phone to the ships network for internet access on my phone. So The computer will be hard wired to the internet via the ships network, I'm guessing I can add a Wifi USB dongle to the desktop computer and then run some software that will allow me to create a hotspot so I could connect a tablet/phone to the network without faffing around changing network setting to run an ad-hoc setup.

Does that make any more sense? lol:1

Edit for Example: At the moment I am on a rig but this has wifi points around the place so I can easily connect my phone through that. My new place may not so want to see about creating my own hotspot through my office desktop computer.

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2013, 20:35:44 »
arr now i understand not sure if this is any good http://www.wifihotspotcreator.com/
you will of course need a wireless dongle
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2013, 20:44:55 »
It is what I'm looking for and already have a copy of that but ideally I want to be able to run it from a hard drive so I am not installing anything on my work computer.
That way if I get caught they can't have a gripe about me installing random software on their machines  lol:1

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2013, 20:53:10 »
Assuming you have enough usb sockets could you not install on a flash drive and run it from there that way nothing is installed on said computer.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2013, 20:56:30 »
I'll have to try and do that on my laptop in my room. I can't open them here as it asks for admin rights (IT locked down).
One that did work wouldn't let me change the directory from C: though so assumed many may be like that. I'll try the few I have downloaded so far and see what I can get to install to a portable pen drive.

snadge

« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2013, 21:04:53 »
Den is right , a lot of smaller programs will install to USB and run from USB on other computers (without the registry data thats on the other computer you originally installed on (on the USB stick)

also, when you say HOME you mean "an office somewhere in a ship in the middle of the ocean" hehehe?

also,

http://www.pocketables.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6957
Yes, i have the solution

http://www.synetusa.com/

In short, its a USB Hotspot or Wifi adapter
It is virtually undetectable from IT (does not request a new IP from the network and no new MAC address)
Works now with all version of windows
You can select WEP, WPA, WPA2, Hide SSID, etc..
Up to 32 device
about 50$
etc.

says JUST PLUG & PLAY on website

hide SSID will be handy to try and hide from them, they wont see it if they used wireless device looking for networks

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2013, 21:53:41 »
Snadge!! That certainly looks like exactly what I would need as it doesn't require any installation!!! I wonder if something like that is available in the UK.

Anyway, I'll try and install to a USB stick and see what happens with that. It would be no biggie for me to carry around a mini usb drive and a mini wifi dongle. Here is hoping it works  lol:1

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2013, 22:11:17 »
I wonder if this would do the trick?

http://www.asus.com/Networking/USBN10_NANO/#overview

I'm sure I read somewhere about it managing wireless networks.

snadge

« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2013, 23:45:24 »
I wonder if this would do the trick?

http://www.asus.com/Networking/USBN10_NANO/#overview

I'm sure I read somewhere about it managing wireless networks.

could be, but will it plug & play? - also, i dunno what the signal is like from a nano device that doesn't really have any internal antenna...much... depends on how far your wanting the signal to reach

to be honest all of these wifi devices are gunna need to install at least drivers too work, most plug & play stuff means it will auto-install the drivers for you (initiate and maybe complete install automatically)

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2013, 00:03:16 »

could be, but will it plug & play? - also, i dunno what the signal is like from a nano device that doesn't really have any internal antenna...much... depends on how far your wanting the signal to reach

to be honest all of these wifi devices are gunna need to install at least drivers too work, most plug & play stuff means it will auto-install the drivers for you (initiate and maybe complete install automatically)

I managed to find a user manual online and it mentions using the included CD to install the access point software to turn it into Adhoc unfortunately.

I know what you mean about installing drivers and that seems to be ok on my current work computer even though it is so heavily guarded by IT. We can't install anything without IT but it allows auto install of phone drivers and HDD etc.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #15 on: 29 October 2013, 09:49:43 »
I tried installing several programs to my hard drive last night. The one listed above would only install to the C: and was also trying to install about 5 different little programs too. Another was the same.
Virtual hotspot allowed me to install to a drive but no idea if it runs properly.
Con rectify won't install due to a framework issue which I am unsure about but if its being picky on a win7 updated laptop then I may have issues with it later on.
The search continues.

snadge

« Reply #16 on: 29 October 2013, 10:09:16 »
so really your gunna need TWO USB slots, one for install and one for device...

heres how to test, copy the file on the USB stick (the installation folder) to your desktop, then, uninstall the program (from the USB stick too) then, copy the install folder back too the USB stick, this will emulate using the install on a different computer that doesn't have the registry data available ;)

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #17 on: 29 October 2013, 12:30:39 »
This is teh other one I am looking at.

http://www.billion.uk.com/product/wireless/3011w.htm

It states universal plug and play and also noticed a review on Ebuyer stating no need to install but I can't find any more information on it to see if it requires installation of software to use as an access point.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #18 on: 29 October 2013, 15:47:50 »
OK after reading through this article below:

http://wireless-adapter-review.toptenreviews.com/

It shows which each Wifi adapter has. According to the list the Cisco AM10 Valet connector is plug and play with no installation CD.

Looking at the instructions below, It appears that there is no installation from the USB drive too.

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&docid=60bf6ddc3b5e417a8c72d601b2346552_21484.xml

snadge

« Reply #19 on: 29 October 2013, 22:53:32 »
it does say this:

NOTE:  For ease of use, the Valet Connector comes preloaded with its installation software.  The installation files are stored on the Valet Connector's built-in flash storage.  However, once Cisco Connect has been successfully installed, this storage facility will no longer be accessible.

this says to me, you plug it in, windows detects new hardware and proceeds to install drivers (and possibly connectivity software) and once done so the storage disappears? seems odd ?? so its an INSTALL ONCE AND THATS IT device? cant be used on another?

i think your best bet to be sure, is to make a precise and clear 'generic' email asking if these sticks can do what you require then email it too all of these manufacturers , otherwise its suck it and see - maybe post on a dedicated network forum?

I have asked on TechGuy for you too  ....put fingers in more pies and all that ... :)