Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Server Comparisons - hmmm  (Read 612 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

snadge

  • Guest
Server Comparisons - hmmm
« on: 20 September 2013, 19:02:46 »
Advertisement
Our Old Server (Eros):

Dual Intel Xeon E5 Quad-Core (x2 with HTT), 16GB RAM, 4 x 450GB SAS with 2 x SSDs on a 100mb/s connection.

New Server (Oceanus):

Dual Intel Xeon E5 Eight-Core (x2 with HTT) and 96GB RAM + 100% SSD's on a 1Gb/s connection

what Iam not too impressed upon is the hosts use of the word "cores" when including hyper-threads as a 'core' when its not... they say it has "32 cores" (2 x 8 core cpu's with hyper-threading) but really it only has 16 cores... we are limited to "1" of these "cores" - well that says to me if another process (website) is using the dedicated 'physical' core quite heavily then we will be limited on the 2nd 'logical' core...  because Hyper-threading works by using CPU core power on a 'logical' core thats not used by a process on the actual 'physical' core...  I dont think its fair to call 'logical' cores in the way the hosts do

I do hope that we are limited to one actual PHYSICAL core but ive a feeling the system that manages this just passes it off the CPU (which doesnt know or care) and could this be the "usage spikes"..? (us struggling on a logical core of an overused physical core?)

my recent post to host (after they were unsure about this):

Quote
this was what made me wonder if say another website was using say 80% of the 'physical' core then that leaves us 20% for the 'logical' core and maybe this is where the limiting factor is coming into effect? our actual usage is small (and is recorded correctly as so by monitoring) ..but in the scale of 20% (or less) of remaining core capacity it is seen as 'overuse' by the server and limited? - food for thought.

 

Powered by EzPortal
anything