Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sound technology pioneer Ray Dolby dies  (Read 1217 times)

snadge

Sound technology pioneer Ray Dolby dies
« on: 13 September 2013, 13:27:31 »
Advertisement
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048681/sound-technology-pioneer-ray-dolby-dies.html#tk.rss_all

Ray Dolby, an American inventor known for leading work in the area of noise reduction and surround sound, died Thursday at the age of 80 at his home in San Francisco.

Dolby, who had been living with Alzheimer's disease in recent years, was diagnosed in July with acute leukemia, according to Dolby Laboratories, the company he founded 48 years ago.

Holding over 50 U.S. patents, Dolby transformed the company in line with market changes, and its technology has made its way into cinema, homes, PCs and mobile entertainment.

Chinese vendor ZTE, for example, acquired in June a worldwide patent license for Dolby's portfolio covering High-Efficiency Advanced Audio Coding (HE AAC), an international standard used and licensed from Dolby by a number of mobile vendors. SingTel said in January it will use Dolby Digital Plus technology to deliver cinema-quality surround sound on Mio TV, its IPTV platform.

Dolby was born in Portland, Oregon in 1933, and his family eventually moved to the San Francisco Peninsula. From 1949 to 1957 he worked at Ampex, including on the electronics of videotape recording systems. In 1957, he graduated with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from Stanford University and in 1961, he was awarded a doctorate in physics from Cambridge in 1961.

The audio pioneer won medals from the Audio Engineering Society and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers among other honors.

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
Re: Sound technology pioneer Ray Dolby dies
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2013, 15:48:15 »
I always assumed Dolby Digital (sound) was just a brand name and not related to a person.
Originally known as Quasimoto

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2013, 20:33:03 »
I always assumed Dolby Digital (sound) was just a brand name and not related to a person.
Same here.

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2013, 21:43:26 »
I remember when it was called plain old Dolby NR (analog)   :o
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

snadge

« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2013, 22:49:14 »
without using internet to find out....does anyone know how Dolby Noise Reduction actually works?   :D

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2013, 23:32:25 »
without using internet to find out....does anyone know how Dolby Noise Reduction actually works?   :D
No  :D

snadge

« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2013, 23:49:21 »
No  :D

I cant remember exactly lol.... it was something to do with turning volume up on quiet parts of tracks (during recording) which increase the SNR and turning it back down during playback (which reduces the hiss because the SNR was greater) ...something like that anyway

can anyone remember a Tape brand called That's  ...??

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 14 September 2013, 00:22:05 »

So do I Den.. :-[ It was the bees knees on audio cassettes.

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 14 September 2013, 05:16:48 »

Never really paid attention to that until now, until looking at my old JVC unit from 1991. Dolby NR on the tape deck. But seeing Dolby Stereo on the old films just before all the credits are finished.
Originally known as Quasimoto

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #9 on: 14 September 2013, 10:09:10 »
Dolby noise reduction works by compressing the sound during recording and expanding it during playback, apart from Dolby HX which works differently  ;)
Its a complicated technology which does require some understanding  ::) 
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.