Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Syria (LOCKED!)  (Read 17136 times)

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
Syria (LOCKED!)
« on: 07 September 2013, 19:54:00 »
Advertisement
Not wanting to bring politics into it but I'm just wondering if anyone is glad that the UK will not get involved in the Syrian conflict.

I think that getting involved just makes the UK a target for Muslim extremists.

I have taken this view because I supported the Iraq war thinking that Saddam Hussein had WMD but when it came to light that he didn't have any after all, I was disgusted that we had been told that they were there.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
Re: Syria
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2013, 19:58:17 »
Having said the above, if the UN weapons inspectors find definite proof that the Syrian government did use chemical weapons against it's own people then I would, of course, change my stance.

steve195527

« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2013, 20:08:44 »
Not wanting to bring politics into it but I'm just wondering if anyone is glad that the UK will not get involved in the Syrian conflict.

I have taken this view because I supported the Iraq war thinking that Saddam Hussein had WMD but when it came to light that he didn't have any after all, I was disgusted that we had been told that they were there.
we're already a target,those guys don't need an excuse to kill anybody not just us brits,there were rumours at time the Iraqi weapons had been shipped to Syria before the invasion,wouldn't it be ironic if these are the ones Assad has used on his own folk?

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2013, 20:57:57 »

we're already a target,those guys don't need an excuse to kill anybody not just us brits,there were rumours at time the Iraqi weapons had been shipped to Syria before the invasion,wouldn't it be ironic if these are the ones Assad has used on his own folk?
Indeed i would Steve indeed it would.
Personally i hope we stay out of it not our war would not benefit us if we were to join it.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2013, 21:29:27 »
we have our own problems!! - Cameron should be trying his hardest too sort those out instead of wiping the presidents arse for him!!
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2013, 22:09:12 »
we have our own problems!! - Cameron should be trying his hardest too sort those out instead of wiping the presidents arse for him!!

He just gave away 54 million...
Originally known as Quasimoto

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2013, 22:53:41 »

I'm convinced these are the same ones Assad has that they couldn't find when the first one started back in 2003. But Washington seems so adamant this is going to go ahead and this isn't even like Saddam or Libya.

This guy has seriously sophisticated ground to air missile weapons.

Whats scary is it's nearly a decade since this all started like last time. October 2003 it kicked off in Iraq.

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2013, 00:05:46 »
Who are the rebels? What would happen if Assad was overthrown?

Another form of Egypt ?

Personally I was delighted that the vote went the way it did.

steve195527

« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2013, 02:28:28 »

I'm convinced these are the same ones Assad has that they couldn't find when the first one started back in 2003. But Washington seems so adamant this is going to go ahead and this isn't even like Saddam or Libya.

Whats scary is it's nearly a decade since this all started like last time. October 2003 it kicked off in Iraq.
I bet the USA know more about Syria's air defences than the Syrian military do

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2013, 02:39:53 »

I just hope we don't get to find out.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 08 September 2013, 07:33:35 »

we're already a target,those guys don't need an excuse to kill anybody not just us brits
Yes I suppose that's true enough but thankfully there have been no suicide bombings or such like despite Afghanistan and Iraq.

there were rumours at time the Iraqi weapons had been shipped to Syria before the invasion,wouldn't it be ironic if these are the ones Assad has used on his own folk?
Yeah very  :o

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2013, 07:36:48 »
Personally i hope we stay out of it not our war would not benefit us if we were to join it.
Agreed.

We have enough problems of our own to be honest and with the cutbacks to the MOD, I doubt we can afford any more wars even though I know the UK would only play a very small part with the US being by far the major player.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2013, 07:39:41 »
I think that's what Cameron was going to do but the legacy of Iraq had a part to play in Parliament voting down the proposal.

Don't forget that Blair used to be the Presidents poodle !

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2013, 07:40:18 »

He just gave away 54 million...
I know it's for a good cause but can we really afford it ?

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2013, 07:48:18 »
I'm convinced these are the same ones Assad has that they couldn't find when the first one started back in 2003.
I forgot about the UN not being able to find them so you could well be right.

But Washington seems so adamant this is going to go ahead and this isn't even like Saddam or Libya.
The thing is it's going to be difficult to back down now as Washington has already signalled action and if they were to back down now they would look weak.

Now you come to mention it, last week I saw a news article on the TV where Assad said that his country has weapons that the US know about and weapons that they don't know about although I don't know if he's bluffing ?

Yeah it seems to be like a regular cycle of war.

If you ask me there will never be peace in the Middle East.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: 08 September 2013, 07:51:22 »
Who are the rebels? What would happen if Assad was overthrown?

Another form of Egypt ?
Yeah Egypt is still in turmoil.

Personally I was delighted that the vote went the way it did.
The thing is whether the UK gets involved or not will make little or no difference as the US is the main player as you know.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 08 September 2013, 07:52:47 »
Let's hope so !

I guess that the US has highly sophisticated surveillance equipment.

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 08 September 2013, 08:33:16 »
Why do we even get involved in these affairs?...we are a small island state, that is almost bankrupt ( or so they keep telling us )....our NHS is on the point of collapse, we cannot even afford to fill pot holes in our roads, yet we seem to have money and resources to throw at this mess.

I don't see affluent countries like Germany or Sweden etc. getting involved.

Al Qaeda is almost certainly involved with the so called rebels, yet we are funding them..  :o

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: 08 September 2013, 08:49:44 »
Why do we even get involved in these affairs?...we are a small island state, that is almost bankrupt ( or so they keep telling us )....our NHS is on the point of collapse, we cannot even afford to fill pot holes in our roads, yet we seem to have money and resources to throw at this mess.
Agreed.

Because they have more sense perhaps ?

Al Qaeda is almost certainly involved with the so called rebels, yet we are funding them..  :o
Never I didn't know that  :o

steve195527

« Reply #19 on: 08 September 2013, 11:19:46 »

Im not sure Al-Qaeda are involved with 1/2 the stuff they are blamed for being the cause of,they seem to have become an easy target to blame for govt of all kinds,assad blames them to justify bombing his own country men we blame them to justify going into countries,seem to be coming a scapegoat a lot of the time,not every fanatical muslim faction is affiliated to them,its a bit like over in Ireland everything in the press was blamed on the IRA,we now know this isn't the case,there loads of groups out there doing things to keep the troubles going,lots of it criminal gangs to exploit the situation,protection money,drug running,arms supply