Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Post your new TV recommendations please  (Read 35852 times)

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
Re: Post your new TV recommendations please
« Reply #20 on: 16 July 2013, 21:54:06 »
Advertisement
Milo I wondered when you were gonna comment you seem to know your stuff about tv's

snadge

« Reply #21 on: 16 July 2013, 22:23:38 »
I thought Screen Burn was something that only affected CRT TV's...?

then i read this:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1657520-screen-burn-what-ir.html

I will gather more info and post it here, when time permits.
Anybody with knowledge of plasma technology that wishes to add or alter anything please feel free to pm me.

Image retention known as IR: This is normal and more prominent whilst a set beds in/settles. Created by a residual charge remaining in a cell, appearing as a ghost of what created it i.e. a channel logo, IR can dissapear immediately or in some cases can stay for periods of time.
How clear the IR is and how long it lasts depends on several things.

A. How long the set has run, plasma reduces in intensity over time, for the first few hundred hours the cells will be burning brighter as the new phosphors take time to settle.

B. Contrast can affect the degree of IR what you get as this controls the brighter part of the picture(brightness control actually affects the black level).

C. Not all agree fully on this but sharpness can also effect IR to a lesser degree though its best to not have this set high anyway.

D. How long static content is displayed on the screen and bright the image displayed is.

Screen burn: Screen burn is NOT created directly by IR, it is a separate process.
Appearing as a shadow burn is uneven wear of the screen and takes time to appear unless a screen is faulty. It is very hard to burn a modern plasma even when trying create it.
If you displayed a black and white image where the background was black and some text being bright white you would need to display this 24-7 for a couple of weeks to have any chance of achieving permanent burn, even then you may only achieve persistent IR.

Persistent IR is NOT burn but IR that may take several days or weeks to remove.

This is very basic just to inform the laymen out there that may be confusing these issues.
I will add more technical information at later date, including ways to remove IR.
I will leave this open for now so any experts can add to this thread. Please do not post questions or discuss the issue, this thread is NOT for that and posts will be removed.
Any contributions made to explain IR and burn will be added to this post and the original removed. This is meant to inform members that may be confused about these issues.

This thread will hopefully remain or be replaced by more detailed and informative information.

with that in mind I think I would stay away from Plasma TV's - seems like they do have their inherited problems from the technology.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #22 on: 16 July 2013, 22:35:51 »
my plasma vs led i would rather watch the led any day. i wish we got led for downstairs but because of the children i thought it would be safer to have the plasma screen, typical they have never touched it

Offline Milo

« Reply #23 on: 16 July 2013, 23:02:45 »
Milo, I could have sworn I was reading something the other day when someone mentioned getting a plasma for gaming due to IR/burn not being an issue anymore. He was told by several people that it will always be an issue to a certain extent??
If you 'run it in' correctly, then you won't suffer it - there are Threads on AV Forums of how to properly set Plasma's for the first few 100 hours. Even if you did get this issue, there are ways of ridding it...

Offline Milo

« Reply #24 on: 16 July 2013, 23:03:17 »
my plasma vs led i would rather watch the led any day.
How come?

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #25 on: 16 July 2013, 23:32:31 »
i just find the picture to be much clearer

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: 17 July 2013, 00:14:26 »

Strange that Tom, I have an LG led TV in my bedroom, Panny Plasma in my living room, the Panny is in a different league to the mediocre LG.

snadge

« Reply #27 on: 17 July 2013, 00:17:49 »
you's are aware that LED TV is just an LCD TV with LED backlights? - I hate calling em LED TV's lol...

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: 17 July 2013, 00:28:44 »
you's are aware that LED TV is just an LCD TV with LED backlights? - I hate calling em LED TV's lol...

I agree Snadge, it just marketing speak. I suppose that we all fall for it. ;)

Offline Milo

« Reply #29 on: 17 July 2013, 00:30:32 »

Strange that Tom, I have an LG led TV in my bedroom, Panny Plasma in my living room, the Panny is in a different league to the mediocre LG.
Agreed

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #30 on: 17 July 2013, 00:31:43 »
hmmmmmm ive always thought it especially if up quite close

Offline Milo

« Reply #31 on: 17 July 2013, 00:32:48 »

I agree Snadge, it just marketing speak. I suppose that we all fall for it. ;)
Yep, nonsense

Offline Milo

« Reply #32 on: 17 July 2013, 00:33:46 »
hmmmmmm ive always thought it especially if up quite close
All depends on the Plasma screen you have - if you set the screen at the optimum distance Plasma still wins, imho

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #33 on: 17 July 2013, 00:36:32 »
Yea that's fair enough. I got the lg 50pk590 it was very popular on av forums and at the time was up there with I think it was the panny g20 series ( I think I have that right) panny was £1300 at the time mine was £700

Don't get me wrong i love it and do like the pic especially in HD but I just find the pic to be better on the led my fiancé noticed it straight away aswel

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: 17 July 2013, 00:46:13 »
I find that the Plasma has a far more natural picture quality, the LCD looks brighter, but kind of false, especially on skin tones.

To each his / her own I guess. ;)

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #35 on: 17 July 2013, 00:49:44 »
Yea I guess it's good to be different as the world would be boring but its good to get everyone's thoughts on the subject

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #36 on: 17 July 2013, 00:57:34 »
Its hard to give definite answers on sound/picture. We all prefer to see things our way. What sounds/looks good to one person may seem utter garbage to another.

Edited from original post:
Here is the test, It was the 2012 sets by CNET so take it as you see fit. My mistake anyway.
The TV was returned due to the anti burn disk getting stuck on menu and burning it even more.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57449881-221/samsung-plasma-wins-cnets-accidental-burn-in-test/

Offline Milo

« Reply #37 on: 17 July 2013, 23:26:20 »
Its hard to give definite answers on sound/picture. We all prefer to see things our way. What sounds/looks good to one person may seem utter garbage to another.

Edited from original post:
Here is the test, It was the 2012 sets by CNET so take it as you see fit. My mistake anyway.
The TV was returned due to the anti burn disk getting stuck on menu and burning it even more.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57449881-221/samsung-plasma-wins-cnets-accidental-burn-in-test/
Interesting concluding paragraph -
But despite the ever-decreasing concerns about burn-in there's one reason I will always pick a plasma over an LCD: image quality. For the money nothing can beat a plasma for deep black levels, wide viewing angles, uniformity, and motion-blur-free gaming. Until OLED TVs become affordable -- and word is they may also be susceptible to burn-in -- I will be choosing a plasma for use at home.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #38 on: 18 July 2013, 00:16:37 »
I think I'll take a look at them with the thought of giving them another shot.
What would be my best option Plasma in my price range?

AlecRobertson

« Reply #39 on: 18 July 2013, 11:32:05 »
Every LED TV has clouding though, which can be annoying when watching films with dark screens/black bars.

The latest generation of Panasonic plasmas hardly have any IR and you can't beat them for the black levels. Although LED TVs (which are actually just LCD TVs - don't be fooled!) do look better in sunlight.

I sent back a Samsung LED TV for clouding and because it appeared to have problems turning on. We have a projector now and it is so much better; it is really immersive. The only thing to think about is the cost of the bulbs, which you don't have to worry about with TVs.