Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Post your new TV recommendations please  (Read 37376 times)

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
Post your new TV recommendations please
« on: 15 July 2013, 02:09:38 »
Advertisement
Hello all.

I'm currently doing some home upgrades at present and looking at adding a new TV set to the main viewing area.

I currently have a Sony Bravia something or other 37" LCD which is around 5 or 6 years old.
I tend not to watch a lot of TV but do tend to watch streaming content, Media from network, Movies and mostly gaming. I would say the set is on 90% of the time for long gaming sessions.

I know plasma is best for gaming and movies pretty much but after me giving a few plasmas IR and one with screen burn I think I would prefer to go with LED/LCD again. I have read several discussions on here about blurring, Banding etc for the LED/LCD TV's so not without their own issues!

Although the Sony is an old beast, It has done me well so far but I would imagine in the 5 years I have had the Sony then surely the panels should be better than what I already have?

Can some of you recommend some TV's around my price range that I can go and check out? I'm wanting to increase the size to maybe somewhere between 46-50" I think. Looking to spend around the 1k-1.5k price range.

snadge

Re: Post your new TV recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2013, 02:35:39 »
Samsung Smart TV's are good = one my sis has 46" is great, it has wifi+LAN can use internet, facebook and Youtube etc on it, plays movies from USB (I dunno if the attached USB can be a NAS but would imagine as you can connect them to windows PC's) - pic quality & color is great and motion-plus is excellent, after owning an LG for last 5 years its probably what I would get if I could

also:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2013, 02:55:46 »
Samsung Smart TV's are good = one my sis has 46" is great, it has wifi+LAN can use internet, facebook and Youtube etc on it, plays movies from USB (I dunno if the attached USB can be a NAS but would imagine as you can connect them to windows PC's) - pic quality & color is great and motion-plus is excellent, after owning an LG for last 5 years its probably what I would get if I could

also:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs
I have seen a lot of people recommend Samsung's but also read that they seem to suffer more from banding compared to say a Sony. Saying that though, my parents have a 55" Samsung smart TV and it looks great! I reckon I'll be mainly looking at Panasonic, Sony and Samsung units.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2013, 07:51:52 »
I have a 50" plasma and a 37" led both LG and both brilliant tv's

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2013, 10:34:14 »
I found a few threads on Sony W805 and Sony W905. They sound great and have known low lag times which will be good for gaming. I'll check out the LG items too as I have also found a good amount of reviews on some LG models.

steve195527

« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2013, 16:39:44 »
anything made by Panasonic seem to have good picture/sound and reliability/long life

Offline KRW

« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2013, 20:01:05 »
1 vote for Samsung, I have a LG smart tv, not really smart since found it has webOS so adobe flash content will not run in the browser (I know Android doesnot run Flash but there are flash apps out there) so I cannot run 4OD, ITVplayer and Channel 5 ondemand. In fact none of the streaming sites (tubeplus, project free tv, Watchseriesonline)  run, browser cannot differentiate the popups. Does have Blinkbox, Youtube, BBC iplayer, Love films, Netflix.
Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #7 on: 16 July 2013, 01:40:47 »
I'm trailing through reviews and recommendations on AVForums when I can. Trying to get a few models written down and then go and try view these items at local stores to me.
What do you guys prefer when it comes to 3D? Active or passive? I hear some people have issues with sore heads etc using active glasses.
One review and TV I have on my list for viewing is the 46" Sony W905A unit that was just released. A bit over budget but I'm sure I spotted it online for a few hundred cheaper than most places. Feedback from the AVforums on that TV set is very good. Failing that, Possibly the model below which is the W805A.
Any models from Panasonic, Samsung or LG that you believe I should add to me 'check list', Please post them up  :D

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 16 July 2013, 10:48:29 »
I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma, ( see my post ).but I don't use it for gaming, superb picture quality.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #9 on: 16 July 2013, 11:04:41 »
There is no doubt plasma has better picture quality. I just wish IR wasn't such an issue.

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2013, 11:12:57 »
There is no doubt plasma has better picture quality. I just wish IR wasn't such an issue.

I never had any IR on my old Philips Plasma ( 6 years old ), but as I say, I don't use TV for gaming.

So I do understand your preference to avoid plasma. ;)

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #11 on: 16 July 2013, 12:43:42 »
Yeah unfortunately after past experiences and modern day games where most have constant heads up display bits on screen, I fear the worst for them!

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #12 on: 16 July 2013, 14:36:43 »
Most places are selling SONY BRAVIA KDL46W905 for 1599

Offline KRW

« Reply #14 on: 16 July 2013, 18:52:56 »
From my experience of my LG mine is great picture, design, WiFi and lan but limited apps and the browser is rubbish, I would not buy a LG so called smart TV again.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #15 on: 16 July 2013, 18:56:44 »
Krw what lg did you have its funny because i dont think i would have anything else

Offline KRW

« Reply #16 on: 16 July 2013, 19:05:30 »
Mine is a 32LS575T, there is no 4oD, ITVplayer or Channel5 ondemand app and trying to use the browser to acces these does not work no Flash plugin and no download/install a alternative from LG, no google play store as not Android based (I believe the old HP webOS firmware).

Cannot play TVcatch up or any web based video streaming site like Firstrows sports, cricfree. Samsung are Android based as I think Sony and others, Samsung also I believe has Google playstore.

http://www.lg.com/us/press-release/webos-release

Offline Milo

« Reply #17 on: 16 July 2013, 20:20:52 »
You won't get Screen Burn on any decent Plasma now mate.

Panny all the way - Pioneer passed on all their R&D to Panny after their sad demise.

3D is nonsense to me, a passing fad, but check out the recent Panny's on AVForums and TechRadar's reviews  ;)

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #18 on: 16 July 2013, 21:28:21 »
Thanks for the links Thomas.
I'll be sure to take note of them when I go into the several shops I need to visit.
Unfortunately the closest Richer Sounds shop is approx 150 miles from me.

I do have a sevenoaks sound and vision close by though.

Milo, I could have sworn I was reading something the other day when someone mentioned getting a plasma for gaming due to IR/burn not being an issue anymore. He was told by several people that it will always be an issue to a certain extent??

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #19 on: 16 July 2013, 21:33:20 »
The other thing to think about with 3D, is there much 3D content out there? I guess there is gonna be more and more all the time though as time goes by