Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 02/BE LLU Aquiss or Vivaciti?  (Read 22535 times)

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
02/BE LLU Aquiss or Vivaciti?
« on: 15 March 2013, 02:28:49 »
Advertisement
I'm in the process of changing my ISP away from BE due to the buyover from Sky.
My parents are on Skys service and it truely is awful. I already jumped from UKO to BE and had a good few years happy un-interupted broadband.
Now I have to change. I'm not concerned about cost but I would like a service on par with BE. I have found a few resellers of the 02/BE LLU service and I am likely to go with one of them.
However, I'm unsure of which one at present. I have pretty much decided on either Aquiss, Vivaciti, Xilo/Uno or Goscomb.

Here is my exchange:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NSKGW
As you can see, There isn't a great deal going at the moment and no sign of FTTC yet which is surprising as we have two of the newest Oil and gas super industrial estates being built less than a mile from the exchange. I would have thought/hoped that would have pushed us along quicker.

At the moment, I know for certain that Aquiss and Vivaciti both allow fastpath and have unlimted services. I'm unsure about the others.

I will post my current stats when I get home (Currently offshore West Africa at present) but I pretty much sync bang on the 24mb using gaming mode and profile set for speed. No drop outs or issues when both on :)

Anyone got any input of the above?

snadge

Re: 02/BE LLU Aquiss or Vivaciti?
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2013, 10:42:03 »
I have heard that Sky are buying the customers and the IPv4 address block - ive also heard that Telefonica will retain the LLu for wholesale - if I were you I would absolutely be sure that your not just staying put for sky to buy o2/BE* who own the new ISP your with and force you still too move too sky - i know its very unlikely...just be sure.

I will have a proper look later as im in a hurry out the door, but Plusnet seems to be a good choice at the moment on the unlimited package (cheaper one has p2p management between 6-8pm i believe) - they seem to have a pretty good service, if your exchange has WBC then you will retain high ADSL2+ speeds with them. if your exchange is market 2 or above you will get the advertised prices....so if Market 2+ and WBC I recommend Plusnet

edit: checked your exchange and its Market 3 with WBC :)

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2013, 12:59:36 »
Hi Snadge,

Yeah that is what I also heard. I heard it was the Be/02 customer base. BE are meant to be sending out a further email later.

I gather WBC is back onto BT's equipment? Without knowing too much about it and going from past experiences I think I would rather stick with the BE LLU. I did look at Plusnet prior to finding Aquiss or Vivaciti. I won't be making any final decisions until I find out what is happening with BE and their LLU.

snadge

« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2013, 13:23:33 »
yeah WBC is back onto BT's equipment - thats not all bad - only those ISPs that dont pay to keep bandwidth available to customers is bad... like Sky...even BT!! - Plusnet gets rave reviews and their staff and customers on ThinkBroadband seem too think its very good.

if my Sky connection goes t1ts up because of them ill-preparing for 500,000 new users then I will be off also, however I would like to know more about the LLu options you are thinking about as I would like to keep my options open - like you I need always fast un-metered connection...proper unlimited with no P2P blocks at all - i rarely use P2P these days but like to know if something appears that I want I can download it there & then if needs be - Iam lucky in that my Sky LLu connection has been ok for throughput etc...(touches wood) I have had connection problems due to faulty wiring on sky/BT side...but ive not suffered any real peak time slow down like a lot of Sky LLu customers at the moment, and I mean if its happening now then its going to get a lot worse when o2/BE customers merge across - I asked on sky about it and none of the staff could/would reply!

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2013, 14:22:57 »
Yeah I guess that is a valid point. It just seems that several ISP's I had on BT's network all seemed to go the same way. All LLU operators I have had (BE and UKO) have been amazing.

The ISP's I have mainly been looking into were Plusnet, Aquiss, Vivaciti and Xilo/Uno.
I'm just having a look on the BE forums just now and it appears several are staying put until the further news is released.
Sounds like your needs are identical to mine although I like to game a good bit. I'll do further reading on teh BE forums and see what I can dig up.

Offline Blue

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2013, 15:18:26 »
Fit like michty_me am just up the road from you in the Bloo Toon I was with Aquiss a couple of years ago and they were first class would have still been with them but Sky got to the exchange with LLU first so couldn't wait around for Aquiss to come in if there were going to but they did a couple of month later but that was too late.

snadge

« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2013, 15:29:29 »
Yeah I guess that is a valid point. It just seems that several ISP's I had on BT's network all seemed to go the same way. All LLU operators I have had (BE and UKO) have been amazing.

The ISP's I have mainly been looking into were Plusnet, Aquiss, Vivaciti and Xilo/Uno.
I'm just having a look on the BE forums just now and it appears several are staying put until the further news is released.
Sounds like your needs are identical to mine although I like to game a good bit. I'll do further reading on teh BE forums and see what I can dig up.

well if your a gamer then an ISP that offers fast-path is best for you..although if your line is short enough to get 24Mb then its likely the Interleaving Depth would only be 64 anyway and your pings would be circa 18-20ms which is more than adequate for gaming...so i believe anyway, ive played some online games on lesser connections and it seemed ok, i think people worry about lag when pings increase due to peak-time congestion....doesnt matter how small the number, when theres contention it will always be high - anyway my dad is on Talk Talk Interleaved and he gets 18ms pings

Puuma2

« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2013, 21:22:00 »
Can u not just stay with BE till things settle rather than signing up to a contract

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2013, 22:22:53 »
Hi Blue!! Thanks for the info. From what I have read, Aquiss seem to have a good reputation. So they are still worth considering for me. Not a lot of choice on our exchanges is there?

Snadge, With gaming mode on BE I think me pinging BBC is approx 22ms. Without it its roughly 40ms. Its been that long since I have been on fully interleaved, I can't remember. I'll get my stats up when I get home like I said.

Puuma, I shall be staying with BE for as long as possible. I'm just doing the research just now so if/when it does come to it, I can then move over to a new ISP. I'll be going with an ISP that does 1 month contracts too so if it does go pear shaped with them I can shift again.

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2013, 13:15:35 »
A little bump for this.

This is what I have so far.

Plusnet - Only 'up to 16MB'
Aquiss - Only offers 'Up to 19MB'
Vivaciti - Shows 24MB and fully adjustable.
Xilo/Uno - Also appears to be the same as Vivaciti.
AAISP - Seem quite expensive compared to what I was paying with BE.
Goscomb  - Could be in the running although a little more expensive.

So what would people recommend over Goscomb, Vivaciti or Xilo/Uno?

I'm not going back onto BT's equipment unless I am forced so that is why I have come to the three final BE LLU choices. No fiber available or looking like it will be available any time in the future...

Offline KRW

« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2013, 20:07:05 »
I'm with Plusnet and had no problems at all (see sig for connection details), I had BT for phone O2 for BB, now PN for phone and BB.

I'm on Unlimited Broadband and calls and plan to go to have FTTC when it comes to my exchange early next year,

Truly unlimited I clocked 412Gb last month and current 166Gb with two weeks til end of the month
Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #11 on: 05 September 2013, 12:43:30 »
I'm with Plusnet and had no problems at all (see sig for connection details), I had BT for phone O2 for BB, now PN for phone and BB.

I'm on Unlimited Broadband and calls and plan to go to have FTTC when it comes to my exchange early next year,

Truly unlimited I clocked 412Gb last month and current 166Gb with two weeks til end of the month

That is quite good then KRW!
So how are you able to obtain speeds greater than 16MB when that is all they are offering? An old package no longer offered?
If I were to remove Annex M I could get full sync easily I reckon so that is why I'm opting for a package with 24MB and also one that can handle Annex M so I can use that again in the future if I want it.

snadge

« Reply #12 on: 05 September 2013, 13:25:30 »
Speeds are upto 24mb on plusnet, they just say 16mb cos ASA prefers them to show speeds average and most isps use 16mb..you still get more if ur line can take it

Sent from my Sony Xperia Miro on Tapatalk

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #13 on: 05 September 2013, 13:40:31 »
Ah got you now! They still use 21CN though correct?

Offline KRW

« Reply #14 on: 05 September 2013, 17:41:19 »
Yes 21CN, as you can see in my signature I'm getting not much different than I got with O2.

And I've the option of requesting a reduction in snr to 3db to get a possibly syncing 750K to 1000K higher.

And as for fastpath/interleaved mode that's available, I was offered a auto mode which when the line is stable I'll be on fastpath and if the line goes unstable i'll be interleaved and return back to fastpath when it becomes stable again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: 05 September 2013, 19:42:11 »
if my Sky connection goes t1ts up because of them ill-preparing for 500,000 new users then I will be off also
So will I when my 12 month contract is up in 6 months time but I think I will have to pay to leave as BT Wholesale charge a fee for work at the fibre cabinet.

When I joined Sky I had to pay a 50 connection fee and this was plainly spelt out as being for BT Wholesale and Sky were not keeping it for themselves.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #16 on: 05 September 2013, 20:14:22 »
I don't think you will have to now its a much easier process to move now

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 05 September 2013, 21:08:48 »
I don't think you will have to now its a much easier process to move now
Hope you are right mate.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #18 on: 05 September 2013, 21:09:29 »
it is for sure

Offline michty_me

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #19 on: 05 September 2013, 21:50:17 »
I think my exchange is quite congested. The exchange is in my home town but also feeds another town several miles away. Thats why I think moving to BE LLU helped me no end.

I spoke to a few ISP's today and all seem very techy! I sent a few questions over with regards to FUP, Fast path and some other tech questions I would expect a half decent answer from. One hasn't replied but got full detailed answers immediately from Aquiss, Xilo and Vivaciti. Aquiss more so.

I also found a thread on ISPreview with someone asking about those three specifically and 99% said either Aquiss or Xilo. I think I'll be pretty happy with either so will look a bit more in depth to them.
As I said, I'm wanting to stay away from BT stuff for as long as possible. Plusnet is a no go for me I don't think.