Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: What routers can be used with fibre  (Read 24828 times)

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
What routers can be used with fibre
« on: 25 January 2013, 14:33:29 »
Advertisement
just set encryption to 'enabled' and restart uTorrent... that worked for me at my dads, every night i was there I was getting fast speeds - it is documented that you may not always get fastest speeds but for me it was ...

if u know someone on TT on your exchange then will be worth trying it on their connection during peak hours just too make sure it can be circumvented
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
    • The Tech Forum
Re: What routers can be used with fibre
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2013, 15:30:34 »
Yea I don't know anyone I might ask on talk talk forum

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2013, 15:55:10 »
Hmmm just tried registering on talk talk site but it says got to have a talk talk account number

Offline Inactive

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2013, 16:01:52 »
Hmmm just tried registering on talk talk site but it says got to have a talk talk account number

No surprise there, they are renowned for lousy service. ;)

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2013, 16:03:31 »

No surprise there, they are renowned for lousy service. ;)

Surely u ain't got to have talk talk to be able to register on forum

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2013, 19:06:20 »
YUP!!

only talk talk customers are allowed on their forums... I use my sister's account.

I also dunno what the staff would say if you went on asking about circumventing their P2P restrictions lol

using port 443 is supposed to work too (this is the port reserved for secure webpage traffic)
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2013, 19:15:41 »
i did wonder if anyone would answer  lol:1

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2013, 19:30:15 »
i did wonder if anyone would answer  lol:1

???? have u managed to post on there like?

ive also read that combining the use of ports reserved for other services with encryption 'forced' in uTorrent works -  like I say I just used 'Legacy' encryption on its own and got 2MB/s on IPT and TPB
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2013, 19:35:56 »
no but i was wondering if i did register would anyone answer.

talk talk is very very very tempting cause of the 76mb speed which i should get cause im close to the cabinet. i wonder if it slows down much in off peak times for bit torrent

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 25 January 2013, 19:55:04 »
i wonder if it slows down much in off peak times for bit torrent

not sure I follow? - we know TT stops bit-torrent during peak hours, so yeah it will unless you circumvent it

why not with sky anyway? do they not do 76Mb..? 

I can tell you this... you will struggle to get 76Mb over wi-fi . your current N class router (130Mbps) is only good for 40-60Mbps when at very close range. you could use the 834N in 270Mbps mode and hope its enough
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #10 on: 25 January 2013, 20:04:27 »
yea sky do but its 30 a month i would get a different router and the 834n wont work for fibre

i like the tp link for fibre

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-Link-TL-WR1043ND-300Mbps-4-Port-Ultimate-Wireless-N-Gigabit-Router-C87-/121057053630?pt=UK_Computing_Wireless_Routers&hash=item1c2f900bbe

like i say sky fibre 38mb =20
sky fibre pro 78mb=30
talk talk fibre 38mb= 16.50
talk talk fibre 78mb= 21.50

talk talk line rental up front is 50p per month cheaper then sky

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 25 January 2013, 20:18:29 »
how doesnt the 834N work for fibre and that TP-link one does?

with fibre you get an HG612 installed aswell as the ISP router, the HG612 makes the connection and passes the PPP session through to the ISP router - or - you can flash the HG612 with modded firmware and can use any router with it as the HG612 keeps the PPP session and you hook up a 2nd router too use its wi-fi

you can also add the 834N as a 3rd router on the ISP one if didnt want too flash the HG612... bit messy like having 3 routers.. either way u have to do the same with that TP-Link one

yer best getting a good router with hi-gain multiple antennas like if ur getn 76Mbps
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #12 on: 25 January 2013, 20:25:47 »
sorry sorry perhaps you can with talk talk but you cant with sky because of the mer network there are only a few that work the billion,tp link the netgear n600 might im not sure

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-fibre-help/50485-known-working-third-party-routers-sky-fibre.html

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 25 January 2013, 20:32:51 »
its different with fibre than ADSL, the ISPs have specially modified firmwares running on the router that make them work in a manner disimiliar to regular routers - regular routers either handle the broadband & LAN or one or the other - these FTTC setups work by the HG612 handling the actual broadband connection but pass the PPP session to the ISP's router, so it displays the connection speed etc (from the HG612) and the ISP routers handles the LAN/Wi-Fi - regular routers are not designed to work like this.

the only way to use your own router is by the method I mention and the HG612 will always be in the loop.

best asking on Kitz for this.
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 25 January 2013, 20:36:39 »
those 2 routers you mention have been modded to work with sky's MER etc on fibre, whether or not you can get them working on Talk Talk I dunno

I will ask on kitz, if the HG612 can be used on its own like i can use it for ADSL then you will be able to connect any router too it.
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #15 on: 25 January 2013, 20:42:26 »

forgetting about sky then. i didnt think a adsl router like the 834n would work with any fibre provider

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 25 January 2013, 20:47:59 »
im sure you cant use the hg612 on its own its that and a router.

forgetting about sky then. i didnt think a adsl router like the 834n would work with any fibre provider

as a secondary router for Wi-Fi/LAN it will , it cant  handle VDSL directly though, but whether it has enough CPU power to handle 76Mbps traffic is another thing - its is a 300Mhz dual core CPU and most routers these days have 300-400Mhz CPU's, the sky router is 400Mhz - i read somewhere someone used an older router but it stopped at 46Mbps as it maxed out the CPU

Ive asked on KITZ about using modded HG612 - ive a feeling it may not be possible on VDSL2 connection cos it would be all over Sky-User as the easiest method.  seems odd that you can do it with an ADSL2 connection though...so would have thought the HG612 could be modded to handle the VDSL2 connection completely (rather than pass off PPP too the ISP router)

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,12143.0.html

actually you would think the 834N could cos it has 100Mbps LAN ports... so should be able to handle 76Mbps traffic
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #17 on: 25 January 2013, 20:56:23 »
Most Broadband Routers are not compatible with the technology used with Fibre Broadband. You will therefore need to swap your existing ADSL/Cable Router for a Fibre Router that provides the throughput speeds and connection required to maximise fibre broadband usage. If you currently have an ADSL router with a built in ADSL modem, this will NOT work with the FTTC.

are they saying that because of the built in modem.

Right im gonna start again. i know you have a modem fitted by the isp but i thought u had to have a fibre router to go with it i didnt realise you could use a adsl router with the modem fitted by the isp

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: 25 January 2013, 22:06:08 »
because they need to have VDSL (FTTC) capable modems...AND because of the way Openreach have it setup with ISPs you must use their combo-kit

FTTC is just fibre-to-the-cab , from the cab it is not fibre, it is copper using VDSL which is Very High Speed DSL, just like ADSL but higher speeds, the HG612 is a VDSL modem, it handles the broadband connection, but it is designed to pass of the connection details to the ISP's router, the ISP router controls the HG612 (if you like) but the HG612 actually MAKES the connection - the HG612 does all the work.

that comment you posted is just referencing that regular modems will not work with FTTC which is true because of two reasons

1) most modems in routers may not handle VDSL...only ADSL
2) the way that Openreach have it set up the ISP's supplied router combines with the modem to make the connection live to the end user, so even if you have a VDSL modem you can not use it unless its hacked to work like the way I mention.

I have an unlocked HG612 so it works on ADSL (its both an ADSL and VDSL modem) and doesnt need to pass off the connection to another router, it becomes the sole host, now if its possible to do it for ADSL connections on the HG612 via modded firmware...I wonder if its possible to do it for VDSL connections?, but like I say if it was I would imagine it would be on Sky-User as the easiest way to do it, I just cant understand why its not possible to do it (if it isnt possible to do it) - probably be something to do with the ISP detecting whats connected and blocking it if their router isnt detected .

the way they seem to be doing it on SkyUser (with a very small selection of routers) is by fooling the ISP (sky) into thinking one of their routers is connected too the modem...so it looks like what I said above is probably right, like they wont see their router connected 'through' the HG612.

otherway around it is too have a 3rd router connected, turn off Wi-Fi in the sky router and connect another router via LAN with DHCP off and change its IP Address <- this way you can use ANY router you like for Wi-Fi and not be stuck to use just 1 or 2 that have been hacked like that TP-Link and the ancient Billion.

that TP-Link router has an average of 40Mbps and MAX of 60Mbps for wifi throughput on that website you posted on other website... the speeds seems a little low to me...but hey, maybe they are right?

anyway, it looks like you can either use the hacked routers which limits you to a couple of models - or you can use a 3rd router and can use any router you like
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #19 on: 25 January 2013, 22:40:44 »
thats very interesting thanks for that. the router i still like is the netgear dgnd3700