Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Unforeseen charges on my mobile bill  (Read 22331 times)

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
Unforeseen charges on my mobile bill
« on: 01 January 2013, 20:12:25 »
Advertisement
I am new to smartphones as you probably know and I was surprised to learn that I had had a few quid of text charges added to my account.

I went to an option on my mobile called Vodafone.

It is an icon of a green microchip with a gear in front of it (usually used to signify settings)

I happened to click on a few options like Horoscope, sport, news, etc and a few minutes ago I had a few emails saying that I would be charged 12p for each txt message sent  :o

The email(s) also said that I can stop future txt messages by texting the word stop to a 5 digit number.

I did this on each of the emails and I'm just hoping that I don't have any further charges added to my account.

I had no idea that just clicking on links meant that I was subscribing to a txt msg service !

It doesn't help when you get the confirmation email(s) coming through a couple of days later as in the meantime you have been charged.

Rant over.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
Re: Unforeseen charges on my mobile bill
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2013, 20:13:54 »
Also as the option was associated with Vodafone I am even more astonished that Vodafone would associate themselves with such underhand tactics.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2013, 21:05:30 »
Mmm.. an icon has appeared on my mobile by the name of Google Play Books.

It isn't listed as an application in Task Manager.

Anyone know how to get rid of it ?

Thanks.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #3 on: 01 January 2013, 21:33:20 »
What happens if you keep finger on icon, on mine if keep finger on it a x comes up you just press that.Just keep finger on icon and something might come up to delete or drag to somewhere

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 01 January 2013, 22:11:13 »
What happens if you keep finger on icon, on mine if keep finger on it a x comes up you just press that.Just keep finger on icon and something might come up to delete or drag to somewhere
I tried that but it just temporarily deletes it as a banner opens up at the bottom of the screen with the wording 'Remove' but it's still there afterwards.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #5 on: 01 January 2013, 22:23:10 »
And it's defo not in task manager?

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 01 January 2013, 22:34:30 »
And it's defo not in task manager?
No.

I don't know how it got there !

Offline Milo

« Reply #7 on: 01 January 2013, 22:42:01 »
Go to 'Settings', 'Applications', and have a look in there - you should be able to click on it and uninstall  ;)

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #8 on: 01 January 2013, 22:44:39 »
Ahh you beat me to it milo I was just looking at my daughters phone and that could be it

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 01 January 2013, 22:53:15 »
Go to 'Settings', 'Applications', and have a look in there - you should be able to click on it and uninstall  ;)
Thanks, it's gone now but what is worrying me is my bill is going up and I can't contact customer services until 8am tomorrow morning.

Something is adding to my monthly bill and I don't know what ?

My bill now stands at 26.84 and it's only supposed to be 17

I should have stayed on PAYG with my old mobile as it would have been cheaper !

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #10 on: 01 January 2013, 22:56:49 »
Well done milo. Are you getting anymore texts

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 01 January 2013, 22:59:12 »
Are you getting anymore texts
No but my bill is still going up and I can't get out of the contract as the 7 day cooling off period has elapsed.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #12 on: 01 January 2013, 23:02:04 »
i done something years ago and everytime it text me it charged me 1.50 a text

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 01 January 2013, 23:06:37 »
i done something years ago and everytime it text me it charged me 1.50 a text
That's what has happened to me now.

I fear my bill will keep rising and rising and when I was on the mobile earlier on to Vodafone, they didn't want to get involved and said there is nothing they can do.

So my bill just keeps going up indefinently and as I am in a 2 year contract, and not able to get out of the contract, it seems I am helpless to do anything about it  :(

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 01 January 2013, 23:08:00 »
I will ring them again in the morning and if they tell me the same thing I will get OFCOM involved or whoever acts as a mediator for the mobile phone industry.

Offline snadge

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: 02 January 2013, 01:19:38 »
to get too the root of the problem you need to find out exactly what it is you clicked on, just opening a page (AFAIA) would not subscribe you to any subscription? they would have to make it plainly clear that your signing up to a service.

who is it thats charging you the texts? (who are the emails from?)

you may be best contacting the service providers directly because Vodafone are right in what they say but they should do more too help such as blocking the numbers for starters.

EDIT: after some googling it seems like Vodafone do this a lot (overcharge & fob you off) - after what you said about forcing you to turn off Wifi it doesnt surprise me- I would ditch them!

EDIT2: they also seem to charge for insurance without telling you...lot of complaints about that too!

EDIT3: ..infact they are so bad there is a website called VODAFAIL lol http://www.vodafail.com/
PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 02 January 2013, 09:08:59 »
Success I hope.

I have now registered my online account with the Vodafone website and I am a bit miffed that the culprit was Lloyds TSB !

I am not even a customer of theirs.

The number was 61119 and I can remember how it all started now after a Vodafone agent told me the offending number.

The thing is I haven't had any text messages from Lloyds TSB as if I did, it would have clicked who was charging me.

What happened was I visited my mother around a week ago.

She said that her paying in book had run out and I just happened to see on the back of her cheque book that I could request a new one by sending the following information to a text number - 61119 (I had forgotten what number I texted lol)

I sent the following info.

"PIB, her account number, her sort code and her date of birth"

There was no mention of me automatically subscribing to a premium rate text service !

I have since had an email on my smartphone saying:

"LLOYDS TSB - Your STOP request to unsubscribe from Text marketing messages has been received and your records duly updated. You can subscribe again at any time"

I love the last line as if I would want to subscribe again at 1.25 a message  lol:1

I have just searched through my txt msg history and I have definently not received any txt msgs from Lloyds TSB apart from the message that I have quoted above.

I thought it was a Vodafone subscription so I was wrong.

I have asked to have a Premium Rate Text Message Bar applied to my account to stop this happening again.

Had I known what I know now, the first thing I would have done as a new customer is to have the bar applied as companies seem to use such underhand tactics to automatically subscribe you and then not send you any text messages so you have no idea who is charging you.

Problem solved  8)

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 02 January 2013, 09:11:57 »
p.s. I bet you lot all thought it was a pron service that was the culprit  :D

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Super-Hero Member
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #18 on: 02 January 2013, 09:18:51 »
I must admit I did think that but only cause that is what happened to me lol:1 it was a long time ago I was young and full of ... Anyway enough of that glad you got it sorted mate

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: 02 January 2013, 09:30:14 »
I must admit I did think that but only cause that is what happened to me lol:1 it was a long time ago I was young and full of ... Anyway enough of that glad you got it sorted mate
lol:1

The daft thing is the text message numbers that are included in my phone package were shown on my online bill but the premium rate numbers were not shown, it just says 'Text Info Service' with the charge shown.

Finally I am still somewhat stumped as in total 5 premium rate text messages were allegedly sent to me and yet I never received them but still got charged !?