Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sky+ remote query  (Read 9388 times)

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
Sky+ remote query
« on: 02 December 2012, 19:56:50 »
Advertisement
I haven't even been with Sky for 12 months yet and yet this is now the third time it has happened and it's rather annoying.

I have checked the battery charge with a battery analyser and so this is not the cause.

I'm talking about my Sky+ remote control.

What happens is that the remote goes into 'funny mode' where the only functioning buttons are on/off, mute and volume.

All other buttons are non-functional.

How I solve it is turning off the Sky+ digibox for a minute or two and letting it reboot and when it has finished doing so, my Sky+ remote control works again !

Firstly is there a reason for this happening as 3 times in just over 10 months sounds more than a random occurrence !

Secondly is there a better way than turning off the digibox as I have often wondered if I could accidentally damage the hard drive if it was carrying out a read/write operation and I pulled the plug !?

I always look out for the green circle of light and make sure that it's off but even so I don't like doing it.

Finally, (Snadge might know the answer to this), if for example I had recorded a TV programme to record at a certain time and it was in the middle of the operation whent we had a power cut, could this damage the hard drive ?

I know it can happen with PC's as I had to do quite an extensive Windows repair operation a few years ago when my O/S wouldn't boot.

It may be overkill but since then I have invested in an UPS  :P

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
Re: Sky+ remote query
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2012, 20:09:28 »
with the remote i get the same but all i have to do is take batteries out and back in and it works, or the other thing i do is just reprogramme the remote and that does it

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2012, 20:36:53 »
with the remote i get the same but all i have to do is take batteries out and back in and it works, or the other thing i do is just reprogramme the remote and that does it
I tried taking out the batteries for a few minutes but it never works for me.

I am reluctant to leave it for longer as I think I read an article a while ago that said that if the batteries aren't replaced within a short period of time then the remote becomes a 'brick' as most of the functionality of the remote is lost ?

I wouldn't have a clue how to reprogramme a remote !  :-\

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2012, 20:43:11 »
When I say programme I mean to set the remote to your tv.
Press tv, hold down select and red together for 2 seconds the remote flashes twice enter your tv code remote flashes twice then good to go, I know it's to make the remote talk to the tv but it works and gets the remote working. Also I'm sure it don't matter if you leave batteries out it just means you might have to do the above again.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2012, 20:51:35 »
Another way

Re-tune your Sky remote

If the basics haven't worked, try these steps to retune your Sky remote:

Place the Sky remote on a flat surface, pointing away from the TV.
Press the tv button.
Press any number button.
Press the select button.
Press the sky button.
Point the remote back at the TV.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2012, 20:54:39 »
From sky about replacing batteries

Your Sky remote control runs on two AA batteries. When the batteries are low, you will see a warning message on your TV screen Ė please replace the batteries as soon as you see this message.
If you leave your remote control without working batteries for longer than 10 minutes, the TV configuration settings will be lost. After replacing the batteries, you will need to reconfigure your remote control to work with your TV.
Donít leave flat batteries in your remote control. Always replace both batteries at the same time; donít mix old and new batteries or different battery types.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2012, 20:55:24 »
Thanks for the above advice.

I'll refer to it if the remote goes into 'funny mode' again  :)

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2012, 20:56:33 »
From sky about replacing batteries

Your Sky remote control runs on two AA batteries. When the batteries are low, you will see a warning message on your TV screen Ė please replace the batteries as soon as you see this message.
If you leave your remote control without working batteries for longer than 10 minutes, the TV configuration settings will be lost. After replacing the batteries, you will need to reconfigure your remote control to work with your TV.
Yes that's what I was referring to earlier on in the thread.

So not as bad as I thought then.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2012, 20:59:05 »
Yea so it won't brick it you just need to retune the remote

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2012, 21:05:05 »
Yea so it won't brick it you just need to retune the remote
My partner will be pleased as her kids had lost the battery compartment cover and so few buttons work it's easier to go straight to the TV and adjust things yourself, also the same with the Sky+ digibox !

I have printed off your advice and will take it with me when I next go over there  :)

snadge

« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2012, 14:12:49 »
Hi

sorry for late reply, been busy...

buy a decent set of Batteries like Duracell and try them out and see if it stops, I know you said you tested the batterys but some of these battery testers show full even when they are about to die and then show empty when completely dead. at least if you try a NEW and DECENT battery and problems persist you can be absolutely sure its not the batterys.

You can put the box into STANDBY by pressing the power button on remote, it will show an orangey sort of light, this is basically still ON but in a low power mode, it can record programs and have instant access to channels when turned back on, if you keep your finger on power button for 4-5 seconds it turns it off completely (red light)

The sky+ box uses a 3.5" HDD same as a PC so has the same inherited issues, powercuts at any-time can damage it and loss programs ...especially if you dont disable live-TV Rewind feature (like I do) , because with that on it means your SKY+HD box is CONSTANTLY recording everything you watch, turning it off means you cant rewind live TV but you can PAUSE it... this way you know the box is only recording when the red record light is on.

The whole 12 minute thing is just for the code, after 12 minutes you may need to program the TV code back into it so it will operate your TV too, it doesnt mean the remote is lost, it will still work with sky box.

EDIT: I forgot too say, the bad thing about leaving sky+box off is during the night it will not record the Anytime stuff to disk (Showcase) so if you dont use OnDemand you wont have anything in Anytime too watch - Showcase (old Anytime) is a secret channel that all boxes record during the night providing instant movies and programs every day, this was what they used before OnDemand, now that is still there WITH OnDemand, its the 'Showcase' section in OnDemand.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 03 December 2012, 14:58:43 »
buy a decent set of Batteries like Duracell and try them out and see if it stops, I know you said you tested the batteries but some of these battery testers show full even when they are about to die and then show empty when completely dead.
So not reliable then, surprising that.

at least if you try a NEW and DECENT battery and problems persist you can be absolutely sure its not the batteries.
Good point.

You can put the box into STANDBY by pressing the power button on remote, it will show an orangey sort of light, this is basically still ON but in a low power mode, it can record programs and have instant access to channels when turned back on, if you keep your finger on power button for 4-5 seconds it turns it off completely (red light)
I didn't know that.

When it's turned off completely (red light), is the digibox still able to record programs that were pre-recorded as I think you mean that when in low power mode (orangey light), you can record programs by pressing the record button on the remote (as opposed to a pre-recorded TV programme) ?

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 03 December 2012, 15:09:18 »
The sky+ box uses a 3.5" HDD same as a PC so has the same inherited issues, power cuts at any-time can damage it and lose programs ...especially if you dont disable live-TV Rewind feature (like I do) , because with that on it means your SKY+HD box is CONSTANTLY recording everything you watch, turning it off means you cant rewind live TV but you can PAUSE it... this way you know the box is only recording when the red record light is on.

I wasn't sure if Sky used a special type of hard drive and as they use conventional 3.5" hard drives, I understand the risks with power cuts which are the same as with a PC.

It's a pity I couldn't use my digibox in conjunction with a UPS  :P

I have opted to take out Sky's cover plan at £8.25 a month but will have to read the small print when the documentation arrives in the post.

I have a 14 day cooling off period.

Snadge, what's your opinion on Sky's insurance cover ? Just curious.

p.s. I rarely use the live-TV rewind feature so this lessens the risk considerably.

EDIT: I forgot too say, the bad thing about leaving sky+box off is during the night it will not record the Anytime stuff to disk (Showcase) so if you dont use OnDemand you wont have anything in Anytime too watch - Showcase (old Anytime) is a secret channel that all boxes record during the night providing instant movies and programs every day, this was what they used before OnDemand, now that is still there WITH OnDemand, its the 'Showcase' section in OnDemand.

I didn't know that either and it's handy to know as I am quite a regular user of On Demand.

Cheers.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #13 on: 03 December 2012, 15:27:29 »
i wouldnt bother with insurance thats £99 a year when you can pick up a decent hd box off ebay for around £30-40

snadge

« Reply #14 on: 03 December 2012, 15:37:46 »
I wouldnt bother with Sky's insurance plan - that is VERY EXPENSIVE for what your getting covered...(box and dish)
 - its very easy to replace and swap the HDD's - many people upgrade them to 1tb or 2tb drives themselves - they can also use software to back up programs to media or other drives - they do this by simply removing the drive and putting it into a pc and running special 3rd party software designed for the sky+hd recordings, you can get that from sky user website. you can even view the free-to-air stuff on your PC from the disk drive.

I never use the 'red-light' mode so cant comment if it records, maybe I could find out on sky forums? - but Iam sure when you switch on from that mode it has to do the whole boot up and planner rebuild process which indicates its been in a FULL OFF setting so too me that may indicate it cant/wont record? - when you STANDBY the box and its ORANGE light it can and does record pre-set programs.

just to be clear with the whole Showcase/OnDemand thing... before OnDemand we had Anytime, your box would record stuff overnight from a hidden channel and save into the Anytime section, it would do this every night for 7 nights before starting to delete the 1st days programs, so you always had 7 days viewing and you got about 5-8 programs/films per night - then Anytime+ came along which is same thing but with OnDemand where you could access sky library over internet, then they decided to call it ON-DEMAND , you still have the box saving stuff from this hidden channel every night, its whats in the SHOWCASE section, if you disconnect from internet everything BUT this section will disappear - so its actually 2 services in 1

EDIT: oops i accidentally overwrote your last post CW, i must have clicked edit instead of reply..lol - ive restored it best i could

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: 03 December 2012, 15:44:12 »
i wouldnt bother with insurance thats £99 a year when you can pick up a decent hd box off ebay for around £30-40
Oh right, I'll cancel it then when the documentation arrives.

I only agreed to the policy on the phone a few hours ago when a Sky rep phoned me !

I must have made a mistake as I must have been with Sky longer than 10 months as he said that the manufacturers warranty was coming to an end.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 03 December 2012, 15:52:27 »
I wouldnt bother with Sky's insurance plan - that is VERY EXPENSIVE for what your getting covered...(box and dish)
 - its very easy to replace and swap the HDD's - many people upgrade them to 1tb or 2tb drives themselves
Is it as easy as fitting a hard drive to a PC ?

If so I can manage that and would be good news as I only have the smaller of the Sky+ digiboxes, I think my hard drive is 340 GB.

just to be clear with the whole Showcase/OnDemand thing... before OnDemand we had Anytime, your box would record stuff overnight from a hidden channel and save into the Anytime section, it would do this every night for 7 nights before starting to delete the 1st days programs, so you always had 7 days viewing and you got about 5-8 programs/films per night - then Anytime+ came along which is same thing but with OnDemand where you could access sky library over internet, then they decided to call it ON-DEMAND , you still have the box saving stuff from this hidden channel every night, its whats in the SHOWCASE section, if you disconnect from internet everything BUT this section will disappear - so its actually 2 services in 1
I understand it now, I never used the old Anytime service as I wasn't with Sky back then.

EDIT: oops i accidentally overwrote your last post CW, i must have clicked edit instead of reply..lol - ive restored it best i could
No worries snadge these things happen  ;)

snadge

« Reply #17 on: 03 December 2012, 17:34:17 »
ive never actually done it myself but yeah it is just a SATA hard-drive you remove and hook up too PC then using special software you can copy your current stuff across then prep the new drive and copy your stuff over, so when you install it you still have your recordings etc.

the problem with the sky box (if i remember correctly) is that a PERCENTAGE is used for the sky-box- so with current 500Gb boxes we only get 250Gb for our actual recordings  - if you install 1Tb you get 500Gb for recordings - daft really...sky dont need 250Gb to store an EPG surely? sommit not right there

anyway , for this your best asking on Sky User because I have no experience with this, it can be done on any box though - also see http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky/8370-upgrading-your-sky-hard-drive.html

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: 03 December 2012, 18:18:14 »
ive never actually done it myself but yeah it is just a SATA hard-drive you remove and hook up too PC then using special software you can copy your current stuff across then prep the new drive and copy your stuff over, so when you install it you still have your recordings etc.
I mean if my old hard drive wanted upgrading in size, I would be happy enough installing a new drive without the added bonus of being able to copy my old recordings over. Good news indeed.

the problem with the sky box (if i remember correctly) is that a PERCENTAGE is used for the sky-box- so with current 500Gb boxes we only get 250Gb for our actual recordings  - if you install 1Tb you get 500Gb for recordings - daft really...sky dont need 250Gb to store an EPG surely? sommit not right there
I had no idea that the Sky+ EPG used that much space  :o

p.s. thanks for the useful links

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: 20 December 2012, 00:08:01 »
Oh right, I'll cancel it then when the documentation arrives.

I only agreed to the policy on the phone a few hours ago when a Sky rep phoned me !

I must have made a mistake as I must have been with Sky longer than 10 months as he said that the manufacturers warranty was coming to an end.
Crikey it took me a while to find this post so I could update it (rather than start a new thread)

I am fuming as I haven't yet received the Sky Protect documentation and I implicitly said on the phone that I never agree to contracts without studying the small print.

I rang 3 days ago and they said that the documentation had been sent out so what must have happened is the documentation got lost in the post and I was assured that another one would be sent out as soon as possible and no payments would be taken out.

I happened to log in to my online current account a short while ago and was annoyed when I saw that £8.25 was taken out of my account today  >:(

Fortunately Sky Protect is under my list of direct debits as seperate to my Sky subscription - it was listed under Domestic & General.

Anyway what I have done is cancel that particular direct debit so no more money can be taken out.

I also sent Domestic & General an email complaining about the way they operate.

In future if anyone tries to sell me something over the phone, I'll not agree to documentation being sent through the post as people just don't keep their word.