Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: LG's 84-inch Ultra HD TV hits UK today  (Read 7079 times)

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
LG's 84-inch Ultra HD TV hits UK today
« on: 30 November 2012, 12:15:38 »
Advertisement

Having debuted in January this year, the huge, gorgeous Ultra HD LG 84LM960V has finally gone on sale in the UK leaving us with just the small matter of 22,500 to contend with.

It's the first Ultra HD TV you can get in the UK reckons LG, having clearly forgotten about the Toshiba 55ZL2 which went on sale in the summer for the relatively reasonable price of 7,000.

Still, at 84-inches LG's Ultra HD TV is much larger and has managed to pip Sony's KD-84X9005 to the post (that's coming mid-December and 2,500 more expensive than LG's).

Ultra brilliant

The main benefit of Ultra HD is that it lets you watch passive 3D in full HD no pricey active glasses required and no loss of image quality.

Because it's basically 4x 1080p, upscaling is a cinch and your Blu-ray collection is going to look amazing on there the downside is that there's still no delivery method for native Ultra HD content.

Even when a delivery method for native Ultra HD content does finally emerge, there's no guarantee that these early-days TVs will be compatible. So it's a 22,500 gamble.

Whether you have the cash or not, you can still check out the mega-screen if you're in London it'll be on sale and on show at Harrods Knightsbridge, John Lewis Peter Jones Sloane Square and at The Gadget Show Live.

It will also be showing itself off at the Bullring in Birmingham (December 7 to 9) Westfield Stratford (December 13 to 15) and the Trafford Centre in Manchester (December 21 to 24). What a fun day out for all the family.

We have no doubt that you've all been exceptionally good this year, but have you been 22,500 good? We suspect Father Christmas will think not.Techradar

Offline Milo

Re: LG's 84-inch Ultra HD TV hits UK today
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2012, 12:35:17 »
Sort the link out, come on  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2012, 12:38:25 »
Sorry  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Milo

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #4 on: 30 November 2012, 13:39:56 »
Unless you live in a great barn of a place then i can't see the point of somthing this big ?
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2012, 14:25:52 »
richer sounds are selling a 105" panasonic but you cant buy it untill a surveyor has been round and that is gonna fit on the wall ok

snadge

« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2012, 22:55:35 »
richer sounds are selling a 105" panasonic but you cant buy it untill a surveyor has been round and that is gonna fit on the wall ok

bloody heck!!

how much is it?

have u seen it in store? whats it like? - the problem which such large 1080p sets is pixel pitch is huge and sitting at the average seating distance your going to see every artifact there is and have macroblocks the size of chips on your screen hehe

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2012, 23:32:53 »
i didnt see it he told me about it,i cant remember price but it was huge money.they did have a samsunf 75" in there soooooooooooooooooooooooo thin

snadge

« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2012, 23:50:06 »
wished we had a large screen TV - she wants our current 32" right in corner of living room, its so far that sometimes i strain - when she goes out I pull the sofa and TV closer together lol...

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 01 December 2012, 10:06:42 »
Imagine lifting this around corners... screen warp? is it 80 inch you see the big tv on Sky News?
Originally known as Quasimoto

Offline Milo

« Reply #10 on: 01 December 2012, 17:12:10 »
Makes me laugh when I see people with small lounges and massive panels.

Same annoyance when people spend a fortune on the biggest screen possible (without researching the panel) and then don't invest in a proper audio set-up and use their TV speakers pmsl  ::)

Here's a guide to seating distances -  :)  http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 01 December 2012, 19:12:08 »
Unless you live in a great barn of a place then i can't see the point of somthing this big ?
Same here.

My mate has a 42" Plasma TV and that's big enough and fills his living room !

Offline Thomasjc1

• STAFF - Administrator
  • Must be an Admin?
    • The Tech Forum
« Reply #12 on: 01 December 2012, 19:16:21 »
mines a 50" plasma its just right in our room except in one chair where it is close and picture is poo

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #13 on: 01 December 2012, 19:32:59 »
Mine's a 32" looks huge in my small living room
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 03 December 2012, 11:31:41 »
Sometimes HD still scares me. People that used to look really good in SD look downright awful in HD. Some people on Sky News look horrid. All the cracks around their eyes, the nasty rough looking skin and freckles etc

Imagine having 4k/8k tv with that supplied broadcast content in 5 - 8 years from now. You're going to see every little nasty detail as if you were examine yourself in the mirror while getting washed. Was funny a few weeks or so ago when James the chef said you used to be able to get away with it, now everyone have to trim their whiskers. Including the women.

I'm always amazed the amount of people one watches in HD and you can pickup their dandruff. And that isn't fully uncompressed 1080p.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: 03 December 2012, 11:41:15 »
Sometimes HD still scares me. People that used to look really good in SD look downright awful in HD. Some people on Sky News look horrid. All the cracks around their eyes, the nasty rough looking skin and freckles etc
I have noticed that on Sky News HD although the young women news presenters don't look so bad !

Imagine having 4k/8k tv with that supplied broadcast content in 5 - 8 years from now. You're going to see every little nasty detail as if you were examine yourself in the mirror while getting washed. Was funny a few weeks or so ago when James the chef said you used to be able to get away with it, now everyone have to trim their whiskers. Including the women.

I'm always amazed the amount of people one watches in HD and you can pickup their dandruff. And that isn't fully uncompressed 1080p.
Yeah probably this amount of high definition is OTT

Also in films, on set, etc, if there are any irregularities, these would show up too.

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 03 December 2012, 13:54:36 »
I have noticed that on Sky News HD although the young women news presenters don't look so bad !

Charlotte and Sarah-Jane Mee :D

Yeah probably this amount of high definition is OTT

We'll end up seeing any flakes or some form of particle in nose hair, corners of their eyes and so on. Retina display tv's :/

I'm already seeing greasy skin pours as it is.

The thing thats the most off putting at times is seeing people in immaculate suits with dandruff on their shoulders.

Offline CurlyWhirly

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 12 December 2012, 23:24:26 »
The thing thats the most off putting at times is seeing people in immaculate suits with dandruff on their shoulders.
I can't say I've ever noticed that before !

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled in future.

Offline CappySpectrum

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: 13 December 2012, 16:47:41 »
Alan Hansen was terrible for it. Seen a number of politicians with it. Ugh Tessa Jowel last night on Sky News. Oh my god, vile. All the nasty wrinkles and bad skin on the neck. I had to change it. Ugh.

All these ugly imperfections on peoples noses. Warts or whatever. Ugh. Some people just shouldn't be in HD.