Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dash Cams, which one?  (Read 194 times)

Offline fudgietheoriginal

Dash Cams, which one?
« on: 12 January 2018, 20:34:05 »
Does anyone have a Dash Cam or had one?

Offline KRW

Re: Dash Cams, which one?
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2018, 21:07:03 »
Not had one, we have 3 cars in our family with only one son with dash cam and swears by it.
I've considered one, a next 312gw I think but have not got round to get one.

Unlike my son who always has video of close encounters , whereas I've not got any recollection of any.

Perhaps camera attract close encounters.

Another son has just got for his girlfriend's car , she just her test and bought a car , she's fitted a monitor and the camera will reduce her first insurance.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Windows 10 Home 64bit    Vodafone router
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2018, 10:26:11 »
if i could drive i would have one in the car easy...
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq M41a)

Offline Roco

• STAFF - Global Moderator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2018, 22:32:44 »
[quote

Unlike my son who always has video of close encounters , whereas I've not got any recollection of any.

Another son has just got for his girlfriend's car , she just her test and bought a car , she's fitted a monitor and the camera will reduce her first insurance.

:whathesaid:  just another driver distraction IMHO,  sure i have a SaT NAV below the windscreen  and rely on it's chigalese voice with just a swift glance at the screen  , managed to drive more than a million miles, 250K on motorcycles   and a lot of that in London , + another  30 k on the continent ( wrong side of the road ) , never had a my fault accident ,  hence my insurance is peanuts these days,  no fault accident ? I did once get hit up the arse by a tailgater  using a mobile phone  , i hit the brakes when a young kid on a pavement scooter fell in the road , knuckle dragger  behind wrote of both of our cars cars ,  my reward the kids Mum gave me a big hug ,

« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2018, 23:09:56 »
Not had one, we have 3 cars in our family with only one son with dash cam and swears by it.
I've considered one, a next 312gw I think but have not got round to get one.

Thankyou for the feedback KRW.
My son seems to have a similar affect on CCTV.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2018, 23:17:58 »
[quote

:whathesaid:  just another driver distraction IMHO,  sure i have a SaT NAV below the windscreen  and rely on it's chigalese voice with just a swift glance at the screen  , managed to drive more than a million miles, 250K on motorcycles   and a lot of that in London , + another  30 k on the continent ( wrong side of the road ) , never had a my fault accident ,  hence my insurance is peanuts these days,  no fault accident ? I did once get hit up the arse by a tailgater  using a mobile phone  , i hit the brakes when a young kid on a pavement scooter fell in the road , knuckle dragger  behind wrote of both of our cars cars ,  my reward the kids Mum gave me a big hug ,
Just another driver distraction.You have point roco.
 But things are getting very busy and life just gets faster and faster mate. Don't you think?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2018, 16:12:45 »
Havenít noticed life speeding up , indeed this winter is dragging  a bit , but no doubt
Summer will pass in a flash of lightening and rain 
Think folk surround themselves  with must have technology , that is supposed to make life easer , that is until the latest must have gadget  comes along ,
Personally still thinking of owning a T.V. , mobile phones ? still donít feel the need for one , but not a total Luddite , recently purchased  a code reader  for car electronics ,
been busy with it with friends and neighbours cars , considering my old Citroen  was designed before the transistor was invented ,  :D
 car drive cams ? my 80ft drive is covered by a Trust computer  web cam (50 p from my local Sally Army shop ) itís on  a home made usb cable about 15 ft long , it works well enough to read car registrations entering my drive  to know whether to put the kettle on , or pretend to be out , >:D

Offline thar

« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2018, 19:40:28 »
I bought one (APEMAN In Car Dash Cam 1080P Full HD Dashboard Camera DVR 170į Wide Angle Lens Dashcam with Rear Camera https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01F5C950I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_2651mvTMZbguz) at the end of October. Accidents are waiting to happen where I live and I thought its better to be safe than sorry. Within a fortnight of installing the cam I caught this https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1114930618637191&id=840422806087975 you might have to have a Facebook account to view it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2018, 20:34:57 »
@ Thar
unfortunately couldnít view the Facebook vid ,
But did look up the amazon review ,  seems a excellent piece of kit
my interest would be for  my summer tours with my roof open old Citroen ,  both cams mounted  above  the open roof  ,  hard wired in and switch controlled , just to record the scenic bits , just curious about the memory card size , it states 32Gb  , once thatís filled does it give a warning or just overwrite ? ,
not bothered about near misses etc ,  as most drivers avoid the car  with itís front and back metal Roo bars , they eat modern cars plastic bumpers and the crazy body lean scares them sh**less  ,

« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2018, 00:41:52 »
I bought one (APEMAN In Car Dash Cam 1080P Full HD Dashboard Camera DVR 170į Wide Angle Lens Dashcam with Rear Camera https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01F5C950I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_2651mvTMZbguz) at the end of October. Accidents are waiting to happen where I live and I thought its better to be safe than sorry. Within a fortnight of installing the cam I caught this https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1114930618637191&id=840422806087975 you might have to have a Facebook account to view it.

Opps-a-daisy  :o
Cheers Thar

Offline thar

« Reply #10 on: 15 January 2018, 20:21:34 »
@ Thar
unfortunately couldnít view the Facebook vid ,
But did look up the amazon review ,  seems a excellent piece of kit
my interest would be for  my summer tours with my roof open old Citroen ,  both cams mounted  above  the open roof  ,  hard wired in and switch controlled , just to record the scenic bits , just curious about the memory card size , it states 32Gb  , once thatís filled does it give a warning or just overwrite ? ,
not bothered about near misses etc ,  as most drivers avoid the car  with itís front and back metal Roo bars , they eat modern cars plastic bumpers and the crazy body lean scares them sh**less  ,
I'll send you the link to the video by email Roco, mainly to show you the quality of the front cam, which is very good. The rear cam is not as clear as the front, it doesn't help that I have tinted rears in my car, but the way I saw it, any rear cam is better than none.

I did intend to hardwire it, I bought the kit, but failed at the first hurdle. I couldn't figure out how to access the internal fuse box in my car

The front camera would certainly record your scenic journeys very well, the rear, not so well.

Overall for the price I paid, (I actually questioned the rear cam quality and was given a £5 discount), I was very pleased with my choice.

Re: the memory card, once it fills up it simply records over the oldest recording.

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2018, 20:48:27 »
Thanks Thar , yes not so interested in the rear view cam , to me that's yesterday history , yes hard wire in modern cars is't that straight forward  , my old Citroen ( no Electronics () has only 3 fuses  in a box,)
and they ony cover the few auxiliaries like spot lights,  radio  and the deluxe heated rear screen , indeed remove all the fuses  the car still runs with working lights , hence @44-48 mpg gallon it's my touring car of choice ,

« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2018, 23:31:56 »
@ Thar thankyou for extra info, it will all help.
I'm thinking for the price you have to take a hit somewhere and that's the rear cam? Bonus on the £5 cash back.
But you are right, a rear camera can help more than most people realize, especially if you catch the incident in both cameras.

@ Roco
I can see how your touring may benifit from a mounted camera?
The British countryside is breath taking if you like that sort of thing and I find it much safer than say; The outback and closer lol. I'm not saying those B roads are not dangerous but with a bit of common sence and good driver instinct it can be a lot of fun, what do you think?

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 17 January 2018, 15:34:30 »
@Fudgie
never had the joy of driving outback trails  :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnTXS159tiw

« Reply #14 on: 18 January 2018, 09:57:04 »
@Fudgie

The outback trails.... That maybe true...But you have I never been falling with style. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsPhuwif4wo  :)

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: Today at 00:41:54 »
@Fudgie

The outback trails.... That maybe true...But you have I never been falling with style. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsPhuwif4wo  :)
hey mate a 1st air experiance falling with style 1st flight  would  cost less than £50  , how much would a outback tour cost me with car shipping both ways ?, sadly for me it ain't going to happen,
about car web cams for recording tours , just thought  I have several digital cameras that do vid ,might try the Nikon on a DIY mount ,  can change SD cards  on the tour will give it a try soon as i get time/better weather,