Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Well it finally happened.....  (Read 285 times)

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
Well it finally happened.....
« on: 11 January 2018, 23:13:58 »
....as you all know I was due to do a wipe of my SSD and reinstall of Windows 10

..well I came in from the shop and the PC woke into a BSOD and couldn't restore from image created yesterday by EaseUS - poor software recovery that, I will only be reinstalling it to mount the image it created yesterday to restore my desktop items, then I will be going back to Acronis - everything other than installed programs are on external drives (pictures, documents, music & downloads) which is why i advise everyone to do that, just change the location of each folder to a D or E drive - so they were still there and I re-assigned the Pictures, Downloads, Music and Documents to the folders that have them on the D:/ Drive.

I installed the latest 1703 version and its busy installing the latest "patch" for the new hardware issues (which is said to impact the hard-drives performance anywhere from 1% to 30%)

I had to Secure Erase my 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - install Windows 7 (as I didnt have 10 on disc or USB...will be burning that tonight!!) then download 10 to USB and install that.

Iam now reinstalling programs, drivers, browsers and addons one by one....

see you in a week lol.....
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq M41a)

Offline fudgietheoriginal

• Full-Time Member
Re: Well it finally happened.....
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2018, 09:43:46 »
Let us know how you get on.
That's good advice, most my stuff is not on C:/
I haven't had to reinstall windows for while yet, but I am due a new/rebuild.

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2018, 12:06:45 »
Let us know how you get on.
That's good advice, most my stuff is not on C:/
I haven't had to reinstall windows for while yet, but I am due a new/rebuild.

will do, as u can imagine it seems much faster ..for now, i havent yet tested the SSD with AS-SSD to check its performance and SSDlife to see how much of a 'write' impact this has had - probably 200GB of writes i bet
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2018, 13:21:23 »
....some good news... AS-SSD has given me a score of 1108 - first time ever its gone over 1100, brand new I was getting 1040-1080 - just a day before yesterday it was 960, secure erase and full reinstall with a much later "patched" version of Windows 10 and 1100 its getting - -brill - I thought it seemed faster

before the writes had severely decreased by almost half, now they are back up to about 95% of full

for those that don't know, a secure erase is special software and technique that resets the drive back to factory condition, mind I was surprised how it had done it 2 seconds, I thought it would take a while
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

Offline fudgietheoriginal

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2018, 01:42:19 »
That's defo much better, than before.

I only have two SSD's (2TB and 1TB,External) both are WD.
Tested them once, way to slow when it comes to data transfer but really good for backing up data/not sure how they would cope as a C/:
They have saved me hours of pain when it comes to my Doc's back ups. You can't save everything (I can't afford it!) when you get the BSOD (the blue screen of death). :o

Thankyou 1bit, I haven't heard about secure wipe, I'm so cautious (paranoid) sometimes I won't even return a phone or leave it with anyone I don't know without a factory reset, I don't care how they reassure me. Nobody else but me works on the PC's I built at home, sometimes it takes a bit longer for me to sort the problem out. Like today the PC was beeping at me, yep the mobo was warning me about core2duo getting a little hot. Sure enough pulled the H/S down and cleaned it. The mobo is happy again.