Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 25p "Latte Levy" to be introduced?  (Read 325 times)

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
25p "Latte Levy" to be introduced?
« on: 06 January 2018, 09:25:48 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/42574883/latte-levy-would-you-pay-25p-for-your-coffee-cup

ridiculous IMO - as the first guy says , first bags, now coffee cups, where will it end?
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq M41a)

Offline Roco

• STAFF - Global Moderator
  • Super-Hero Member
Re: 25p "Latte Levy" to be introduced?
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2018, 10:16:44 »
don't want to pay the levy ?  I am trying the alternative
Cartoon by Matt  in the Telegraph

Offline westernatlas772

« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2018, 19:18:30 »
Years ago consumers mocked the legislation and implementation of the anti smoking rules for pubs and public places as unworkable, my own elderly father predicted  that they would be resisted by drinkers...they were not, people quickly adapted and changed there habits, lung cancers have since dropped dramatically. NHS figures not mine.
Years ago new plastic bag legislation was declared as ludicrous and "The nanny state gone mad", but as a result people quickly changed their habits and as a result as at July 16, 6 Billion bags have been saved and the 29 million costs saved and donated to good causes and now we see very few supermarket bags floating around the countryside hanging it trees and fences.
Now there is legislation coming in regarding  paper cups that cannot be recycled...I comfortably predict that....at the mere threat of the cup levy, that the cup manufacturers will quickly take the plastic out the cups and the problem will be solved, and if it means a few pence added to my bill to save abusing Mother Earth,.... then I shall pay it gladly.

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2018, 19:27:36 »
Years ago consumers mocked the legislation and implementation of the anti smoking rules for pubs and public places as unworkable, my own elderly father predicted  that they would be resisted by drinkers...they were not, people quickly adapted and changed there habits, lung cancers have since dropped dramatically. NHS figures not mine.
Years ago new plastic bag legislation was declared as ludicrous and "The nanny state gone mad", but as a result people quickly changed their habits and as a result as at July 16, 6 Billion bags have been saved and the 29 million costs saved and donated to good causes and now we see very few supermarket bags floating around the countryside hanging it trees and fences.
Now there is legislation coming in regarding  paper cups that cannot be recycled...I comfortably predict that....at the mere threat of the cup levy, that the cup manufacturers will quickly take the plastic out the cups and the problem will be solved, and if it means a few pence added to my bill to save abusing Mother Earth,.... then I shall pay it gladly.

well put... just seems like one Tax after another, I think for me personally its the price '25p' for a foam cup, yet only 5p for a bag... if it were 5p (as I dont think they would cost 25p each to make) it wouldn't be such a shock ...but suppose thats the effect they are after as you suggest.
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

Offline Roco

• STAFF - Global Moderator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2018, 21:32:05 »
In this ever changing times  plastic or resin impregnated cups indeed cannot be recycled ,  the smoking ban in pubs ? , as a non smoker it never bothered me ,
but it changed society along with the rise in cut price supermarkets selling alcohol ,
indeed gone are the traditional  pubs /meeting places around 1k, are closing each year and the dearth of local chatter , that links to community about what is going on for good or bad,
smoking and cancer indeed there is a link , but now notice that in UK cities  more folk die early through  traffic air pollution  than cig smoking ,
plastic bags have only hit the news recently because China has stopped importing the worlds plastic waste ,and we never invested in proper recycling , 
save the world?  bring on WW3 , cull those over 60 the sick & lazy. and tax  folk that produce more than 1off spring  , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnHeX4OHIqo ,  indeed  anyone without a tash  and receding hair  and  pale completion ,
just Joshing , guys , or maybe not ?,    

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2018, 08:14:21 »
In this ever changing times  plastic or resin impregnated cups indeed cannot be recycled ,  the smoking ban in pubs ? , as a non smoker it never bothered me ,
but it changed society along with the rise in cut price supermarkets selling alcohol ,
indeed gone are the traditional  pubs /meeting places around 1k, are closing each year and the dearth of local chatter , that links to community about what is going on for good or bad,
smoking and cancer indeed there is a link , but now notice that in UK cities  more folk die early through  traffic air pollution  than cig smoking ,
plastic bags have only hit the news recently because China has stopped importing the worlds plastic waste ,and we never invested in proper recycling , 
save the world?  bring on WW3 , cull those over 60 the sick & lazy. and tax  folk that produce more than 1off spring  , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnHeX4OHIqo ,  indeed  anyone without a tash  and receding hair  and  pale completion ,
just Joshing , guys , or maybe not ?,    

funny as always Roco :)

hope your 59 or less... as I fall under 'sick' and 'without a tash' - although I do wear a gotee now and again as it hasnt all gone grey like the 'burns' yet hehe
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

Offline KRW

« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2018, 06:53:56 »
Anti pollution is old hat, and will be never ending, for me it started with the move from coal to smokeless fuel in 50s (clean air act of 56), started it and developed to carbon fuel vehicle pollution of today.

I miss the the eery smog, you could hear if people were walking behind as everyone had a chesty cough. Some could identify who was behind by their cough. Now more are silent, even smokers cough are silent.

On that timescale we could pollution free by 2070, until then live the dream.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Windows 10 Home 64bit    Vodafone router
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline fudgietheoriginal

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2018, 08:43:30 »
What a load of carp. :))
If they want to charge 25p easy fix, I will bring my own coffee cup. :)