Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What kind of Christmas/Holidays did you have this year?  (Read 849 times)

Offline fudgietheoriginal

• Full-Time Member
What kind of Christmas/Holidays did you have this year?
« on: 05 January 2018, 19:27:03 »
So? :)

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
Re: What kind of Christmas/Holidays did you have this year?
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2018, 08:52:46 »
worst of my life so far... sorry to be a downer but i aint gunna lie lol
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq M41a)

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2018, 18:55:54 »
Honesty is the best policy 1bit

I had a bit of a sad Christmas because my grandmother passed away, the family were all fighting. Her name was Marge and she was hard worker in her time, but she new how to party. I was defo her favorite grandson and she loved a good gossip, she could swear with the best of them being from Coventry.

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2018, 19:21:16 »
Sorry to hear of your Grandmother passing ...

my Grandmother is called Margaret, she is 87 and says the world is a totally & completely different place now, also a hard-worker who worked all her working age, middle-to-upper class type (no swearing lol), I was hoping to be invited for Xmas as I went along 2 years back and it was the best Xmas I ever had just watching Jungle book with her and my 2 uncles having a little drink of champagne...nice and peaceful with nice people

- but due to my 6 week illness in late autumn I was so poorly I couldn't even entertain anyone so lost my regular contact, and she is the type of person that is "if you dont want to speak to me, then im not going to speak to you" hehe - but feeling guilty (and some other family issues) I lost the regular contact between us and wasn't invited - I sent her a card

Every xmas I spend with my mother seems to end in tears and disaster
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

Offline KRW

« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2018, 20:40:31 »
Was ok til new years eve when the gas boiler packed up , found need a new one so 1000 bill now, hopefully being fixed next week. 2018 is my retirement year but can't afford so going to work another year or two.

They back luck comes in three's , just waiting for the for the next two!.

At my age you can't let the buggers win or get you down!

Ken
Windows 10 Home 64bit    Vodafone router
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline Roco

• STAFF - Global Moderator
  • Super-Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2018, 21:53:16 »
Was ok til new years eve when the gas boiler packed up , found need a new one so 1000 bill now, hopefully being fixed next week. 2018 is my retirement year but can't afford so going to work another year or two.
Ken
@ young Ken ,  belive me life is short , I worked since I was 15y , never unemployed , soon as I mistakenly felt financially secure  I retired early ,  but my income stays static  my outgoings don't ,
so I now have to cut my cloth to suit my needs , but to be honest with no regrets , strange how a working week felt so long , in retirement it flashes past in a  day or so ,
bad luck comes in more than 3's ,  real bad luck comes only once IMHO ,

Offline KRW

« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2018, 22:02:32 »
Ken
@ young Ken ,  belive me life is short , I worked since I was 15y , never unemployed , soon as I mistakenly felt financially secure  I retired early ,  but my income stays static  my outgoings don't ,
so I now have to cut my cloth to suit my needs , but to be honest with no regrets , strange how a working week felt so long , in retirement it flashes past in a  day or so ,
bad luck comes in more than 3's ,  real bad luck comes only once IMHO ,
I too worked since 15 with only 1 yr unemployed plus 2 yr as mature(haha) student (loved student club a little too much) still got qualification though. Moved around ending with multiple private pension scheme. Which final moved into one a couple of years ago. So waiting for it to offer a better pension. Will claim state to invest as well. A bit late but I'll survive happy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Windows 10 Home 64bit    Vodafone router
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2018, 10:36:15 »
Sorry to hear of your Grandmother passing ...

my Grandmother is called Margaret, she is 87 and says the world is a totally & completely different place now, also a hard-worker who worked all her working age, middle-to-upper class type (no swearing lol), I was hoping to be invited for Xmas as I went along 2 years back and it was the best Xmas I ever had just watching Jungle book with her and my 2 uncles having a little drink of champagne...nice and peaceful with nice people

- but due to my 6 week illness in late autumn I was so poorly I couldn't even entertain anyone so lost my regular contact, and she is the type of person that is "if you dont want to speak to me, then im not going to speak to you" hehe - but feeling guilty (and some other family issues) I lost the regular contact between us and wasn't invited - I sent her a card

Every xmas I spend with my mother seems to end in tears and disaster

I love my mother....but also very happy that she lives in Perth Australia (WA) with my younger brother and sister.

As for what class they are....well, everything was handed to them (born with silver spoon in mouth).
I love them all, but I didn't want to toe the line so I got the silver spoon taken off me. I prefer it that way, money isn't everything. Don't get me wrong some years my family are nice to me other years they just pretend I don't exist. The point I'm trying to make, I don't really feel cofortable being round a lot of people at Christmas, I would rather see family before or after Xmas.

Edit; I worked out what class they are not middle class, they are a pain in the a*@ class. lol

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2018, 10:41:40 »
do you have a family of your own Fudgie? with me being on my own its not great never seeing anyone to start with let-alone xmas - so for me it can be a big deal, mind when I was with my ex partner it wasnt such a big deal, would see before xmas pass cards n that was it... but now Iam alone in a village where nobody except the village shop know I exist hehe
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2018, 11:14:33 »
Yes I do and they are a pain in the butt too all of them!  :)
I'm married 25 years and we have 3 children. (you get less for other crimes)

Our son thinks he knows how women think (i wish).
He doesn't talk to his mother at all, that's his first mistake. Who's fault is that? Ours, we are his parents. That's not what bothers me, what's hurting is he hasn't spoken to his mum in 2years now and he's not even 18 yet. I don't disapprove of his life choices I would just like him to talk to his mum.

Point taken.
My mate suffered a very messy devorce a few years back now.
He became very lonely and tried to take his life a few times, it was depression that nearly got him.
He turned to alcohol and pills and understand why.
Now he has a Girl friend and he's back at work full time no more pills.

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #10 on: 08 January 2018, 11:24:25 »
Just to let you know 1bit, we know you exist!
You may find their are others in your village that feel like you do as well?

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2018, 15:54:27 »
 :)
I will give you some background as I feel I need to open up to people and tell you all some of my story:

I understand that most men & women now especially my age 44 (45 in April) should be settled down with at least 1 or 2 kids, job, car & mortgage - but I've fallen back in life due to health, mental health, relationship breakdown & other problems which I am now (after some recent events) not afraid to admit to most people as it can help to get it off your chest but also bounce ideas & get help

I also have a 15-year-old son named Ethan whom I've never met (but do have some irregular contact online with) this was all due to relationship complications with his mother over my ex and me moving, what happened  was, I conceived Ethan to another women just weeks into my relationship with my ex (14 years together by the end), I didnt think me and my ex would get serious and I was 'flavour of the month' being a new lad in a small village (just down the road from this one actually) and I unusually attracted quite a lot of women, my ex-was very mature, she was driving, at NHS college (now NHS nurse), working at tescos & tried very hard to work at our relationship and help me with some of my problems, and Iam happy now that she is with someone who looks like a really swell chap from some pictures ive seen of them together, who looks like he has everything going for him (in the forces I know that much) and hopes she gets the children & happines she so desperately wanted in the end that I wasn't able to give her due to my problems....it still hurts me that I put her through it all - getting somone else pregnant 2 weeks into our relationship which stirred up so much pain in years to come for both of us ...and the other lass and my son aswell and disapointed in myself for letting it happen. so its a double edged sword on that one and both make me upset and also disappointed & angry with myself.

I had a girlfriend from 15-17 (2 years is a long time for young bairns in love) so after that I wasn't really interested in women and only got a few advances as I was very shy when I was young and always turned them away, I remember one night me and my then best friend were in a pub in Whitley Bay having a drink before we got picked up for work away in Birmingham the next day (Sheet fitters & cladders, great jobs), and there were 2 lasses sitting across from us really nice looking, and we were good looking lads too, Im not afraid to admit I can see when a man is handsome or not, its normal, he always had good looking girlfriends and has 4 kids now, anyway they were smiling and winking at us, he was saying come on lets go talk to them girls, kept bugging me deseperately to go and get tapped up and I literally begged him not too...thats how shy I was, I didn't know how to interact with girls...literally, even though I had a 2 year relationship when I was at school....then I grew up, moved into a small village (as I say, nearby this one).

And as I say attracted a lot of women for a period and I played around as a young single man would thats never had girlfriends before, so I openly admit I slept with maybe 5 or 6 over a period of maybe a year while I was there, then one fell pregnant and kept it from me, then finally me and my ex got serious but nobody knew this other lass was pregant (as I say), my ex then fell pregnant but felt it was too early so aborted, then about 4 months later we both found out this other lass was 6 months gone to me, I found out from a young boy kicking a ball in the street...the whole village including my family knew but said nothing to me, so I told my ex and she opted to stick with me and I gave her the option too end it but she didn't "why should I lose out" where her words and as time went on a bit of jealousy was ongoing between them and I moved as I got offered a lovely flat in a posh destination that one could not refuse (St. Peters Marina, Byker Newcastle) & the mother thought I was trying to "run away" from my parental responsabilities so reported me to the CSA which aggrevated me because I was only moving, not trying to run & hide...so me and the mother fell out and never spoke, nobody told me she was in hospital having the baby so I couldn't even be there for his birth...by this time jealousy from my ex-was at boiling point and really eating into our relationship, this went on for so long that it stagntated to the point where I dare not try to get access to my son for fear of upsetting my then becoming long term partner :(

what really should have happened is that my ex should have turned her back on me after finding out someone else was pregnant, as we were only together a few weeks and had no real feelings for each other yet, and I was friendly with the bairn's mother (but didn't want a relationship - she did, but was happy enough not too as long as I was 'there'), we were talking about names etc making plans to bring him up but I didnt want a relationship with her, just wanted be a responsible father and assist in his upbringing...but...no, my ex-stayed and over time shit hit the fan repeatedly! mind I was no Angel myself, I was working by day and drinking by night almost every night of the week for months on end, then that's when I moved to St. Peters Basin which distanced me from the mother.... on the bairns first Xmas my mother was turned away from the mothers door when she came to give cards and presents and that was the basic "stuff off, your not welcome!" so that injected more fear and annoyance into it all...

SO.... thats was the main break/fault (aswell as others) in our relationship, with my Anxiety & Liver health bad at the time of asking for children I couldn't face it, so we broke up and its been 3 years now and Iam over her but still and will forever care very much about her wellbeing and pray that she is happy and her new relationship is quickly making up for our issues....

and as some of you know, this is/was just a part of my problems

PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #12 on: 08 January 2018, 23:13:40 »
Always take the risk and share, when you have that feeling.
Always served me well in the past.

I think these days and with the way the world is now, you can't expect to be settled down with kid's/partner in your 30's or 40's. I don't think it's a favorable envroment for children or some relationships, not when you stop and think! What's happening in the world?
That may not sound right coming from a parent/married bloke, but I won't have any more kids, I already unleashed 1 on this world out of 3. lol:1

I can't really comment on someone else's personal relationship, but I do have question?
Did you spend much time with your dad when you were young?

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2018, 00:25:40 »
not really, he worked away a lot and split with my mother when I was about 9 and I ended up living with my mother, my dad is on this forum as WesternAtlas772 so be careful with your replies haha
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2018, 00:43:37 »
not really, he worked away a lot and split with my mother when I was about 9 and I ended up living with my mother, my dad is on this forum as WesternAtlas772 so be careful with your replies haha

That last bit made laugh, I'm still laughing. :)

My dad was always around, it was my mother that wasn't.
That's not her fault, when my dad split from her I was 8 and I didn't take it very well.
So I decieded to go and live with dad I didn't care what the courts said. So I did the bunk (run away) every chance I got. I must of put my mother though hell, in the end she let me go live with dad.

I don't regret living with my Dad, but I could have been nicer to my mother.. maybe lol:1

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #15 on: 09 January 2018, 14:00:37 »
wished I was lived with my dad which I did but due to issues ended up in a home then my mother took me out as my dad would rather have his children in a home than with the mother... im not gunna comment further on my dads & mams relationship other than towards the end it was very bitter and they hated each other, infact when i was young i was a right "worky ticket", i had my mothers bad temper..but that grew out of me
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #16 on: 10 January 2018, 08:44:45 »
Understand.
Are you from north east England?

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2018, 00:25:22 »
"worky ticket" whey aye...geordie born & bred hehe
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #18 on: 11 January 2018, 21:15:15 »
"worky ticket" we have word for that is Oz it's bit rude.....little @~#'.
The other one is Mungrel....full meaning here https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flamin%27%20mongrel

• Full-Time Member
« Reply #19 on: 12 January 2018, 20:27:46 »
I was real mungrel when I was little, still am sometimes. ;)

I'm not proud of some of the stupid thing's I have done and I certainly have put others though unesssary grief in the past. At the same time I learned from some of those mistakes and this helped myself and others latter on down the track in life. The others being people who matter to me and just because they are family, doesn't always mean they will get a free pass. I have seen some of the evil thing's done by family to family in my family and others.

The original meaning of Mungrel before the days of elf stewart, (from home and away) a half bread dog. They were called a Mungrel dog....Example; Arr you mungrel dog or that mungrel dog is at it again. lol:1