Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: VPN being offered by Avast  (Read 134 times)

Offline fudgietheoriginal

VPN being offered by Avast
« on: 05 January 2018, 01:56:01 »
A Virture private network, offered to me by avast. LMAO

After reading their FUP, they just take all the fun out of the the net....boring.
I laughed at the way they wrote it, that cheered me up. lol:1

I think it was the reference to, why you would use a VPN at home and how they trust most people would not use a VPN for naughty things, or what they deem as naughty. Come on! Thats like giving nitro to a bad driver....They are going to crash and burn, the moment that VPN gets a complaint.
Of course there maybe those that need this kind of service at home if it's not work related i'm not sure why?
People maybe scared/worried or have been frightened by scare tatics, when comes to online fraud and other things the media throw at us? Of course security starts at home, but that kind of VPN, bit OTT for me, maybe ohers would like this kind of service at home. I didn't try it out, although I did have a good look at what Advast were offering and no.

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
Re: VPN being offered by Avast
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2018, 05:52:05 »
I use Private Internet Access VPN as after much research on VPN's and why you should use them and which ones NOT to use and why it turns out that the best are PIA & IPVanish - I just dont like the idea that the Government, NHS, DWP, Council and others can browse through my web usage & phone usage without a warrant at any time they like... has nothing to do with "got nothing to hide so why bother?" - principles & my right to privacy is why I do it - plus i like to "stick it to the gov" lol

A)
you have CIA, NSA, GCHQ et al (FiveEyes - now 16 Eyes) recording EVERYTHING you do for 30 days with over 200 sites in the UK for GCHQ alone, recording over 90% of all incoming fibre lines at a rate of about 125GB/s (look and thowt shall find)
B) after the Snowden Leak the UK GOV cleverly created the IPA (Investigatory Powers Act) to force your Phone and ISP to record all your Metadata (Top Level Domains you visit ((so they say)), phone numbers you call where and when the calls where made, how long for, what was said etc) for 12 months - to hide behind what they have really been doing + more for 10+ years - they keep doing it..but say "oh no, its now just the IPA now" - think they're gunna give up a multi billion pound operation and shut it down when it gives them more power than IPA? I dont think so..just because Snowden told the world.

AVAST, however, is a bad VPN and not advised to be used and have many issues - they have only 29 servers worldwide - PIA have 3000 and are much more secure using Encrypted Multiplexing, DNS Leak Protection that others say work but dont, IP-Leak will prove that - i went with DigibitUK first until I found out they were leaking DNS (a Windows 10 issue) and that means your ISP can still record your history for IPA even when using that VPN - used PIA and IPleak proved it secure + couple of extensions to improve local security:

Ghostery - prevents tracking by Google et al
Location Guard - hides your Geo Location
HTTPS Everywhere - forces HTTPS on sites that dont use it but can
User-Agent-Switcher - hides what browser and OS I'm using

one can be even more secure by using one or more browser proxies in front of your VPN to make a 'semi' TOR type browser (TOR is just-overkilll - too slow and is only for the darkweb users)

a list of some of the MANY programs used by the Global Surveillance Units

PRISM Operated by the NSA together with the GCHQ and the ASD[53][54]
XKeyscore Operated by the NSA with contributions from the ASD and the GCSB[55]
Tempora Operated by the GCHQ with contributions from the NSA[56][57]
MUSCULAR Operated by the GCHQ and the NSA [58]
STATEROOM Operated by the ASD, CIA, CSE, GCHQ, and NSA[59]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_surveillance <- Interesting Read
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_privacy

its like letting a copper live in your house just because...

edit: good watches are the Snowden documentary but even better -  ZERO DAYS is an excellent documentary about Cyber warfare , Operation Nitro Zeus and Olympic Games (StuxNET) Virus that blew up 80% of IRANs Nuclear Centrifuges (NSA+Isreal) and the prepared operations that would shut down Iran's power plants and technical/digitial infraratructure should war breakout....brill on YT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3262UcLPt8o
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq M41a)

« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2018, 07:51:34 »
Thankyou 1bit. thankyou:1
I like to stick to man to, defo! I think we only ever get the goverment reps-Just some poor sap. I have seen some of what's listening out there. I dont stress to much, cos they got bigger fish to fry. Who's intested in fryed Fudgie, it doesn't even sound nice. lol:1
But you have given me a bit food for thought and thankyou for the info on the vpn's and why you think they are important.

Wow, the TB's of info must be massive, even if you store for 30 days.
I would however like to have a look at what kind of storage solution, for Data they may have.
On other hand, maybe not!
I suspect they have something a few gens ahead than what's avalible to us little peps ATM.

Wasn't the IPA a yank (Americian) idea? I think it was back when clinton was in office. Back in late 90's when they were throwing that carp around about the y2k bug.
The Yanks wanted control of the internet and somebody did put the wind up the Yanks, hijacking nearly half the net by taking the control of loads domains. Gotta like that guy. Seems weird how he passed away six months later.

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2018, 09:34:50 »
not sure on the yank thing but look up RIPA and it looks like it started as far back as 2000 with UK

An Act to make provision for and about the interception of communications, the acquisition and disclosure of data relating to communications, the carrying out of surveillance, the use of covert human intelligence sources and the acquisition of the means by which electronic data protected by encryption or passwords may be decrypted or accessed; to provide for Commissioners and a tribunal with functions and jurisdiction in relation to those matters, to entries on and interferences with property or with wireless telegraphy and to the carrying out of their functions by the Security Service, the Secret Intelligence Service and the Government Communications Headquarters; and for connected purposes.

as for 30-day storage if its averaging 125GB/s then the math would be 125x60x60x24x30 = 324,000,000GB (or 324,000TB) - about 324PB a month to store (I think..brains half asleep - sleep pattern is off, I slept at 7pm, awake at 3am!!  very poor sleeper me) - you can get drives that will store 60TB now and its also split across hundreds of sites (for recoding the incoming bandwidth and almost for sure striping the recording across many drives to keep up with the incoming speed)  but in all they would need about 5,400 x 60TB drives (roughly) across all their sites - if what ive read is true which was 200 sites in UK then thats simply 27 x 60TB drives at each site - but then again you will get more data at some than others... so they probs have 100-200 60TB drives at each site just to be sure.

again if my math is right lol...im away for breakfast now...back soon
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2018, 19:08:33 »
not sure on the yank thing but look up RIPA and it looks like it started as far back as 2000 with UK
again if my math is right lol...im away for breakfast now...back soon

Have a look at this.
Edit; The ICANN is the one im on about

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2018, 20:07:43 »
I think that document refers to 'Root Servers' whats now called DNS Domain Name Servers -  wow only 24 in 1998 - theres over 4400 all over the world now, as I use a VPN mine are Romanian DNS servers which can actually cause some small problems...only problem being that ebuyer wont load using a Romanian server, I use Romania as its one of the very few EU (or local to UK - closer they are / faster  they are) Servers on my VPN that arent part of Global Government Surveillance Units - so even if they tried to look at what my VPN was up to there would be no record...plus my VPN is the most assured as definitely not keeping logs also - I just like to be as secure as possible with my rights to privacy is all (sticking it too the gov, hehe)... im not some paedophile or drug dealer who needs to use the dark web lol

edit: I think I might be able to over-ride PIA DNS by disabling DNS Leakprotection and setting OpenDNS or Comodo in Windows (not google as they are trackers...although I do have ghostery on my browser which blocks their tracking)

also, I get enjoyment out of using/trying technology new to me..so its 2 birds with 1 stone of sorts

Im even peddling with a Raspbery Pi that im going to use with RetroPie to play old console games on lol -  I got a wifi adapter that works on it, just need to finish setting it up - it uses MicroSD cards as the main system hard-drive, so you can put different OS's and stuff on diff cards and switch them in and out (1Gb / 1.2Ghz quad-core ARM / 4 USB - size of a ciggy packet)

PIA have a testing page where you can speedtest their servers without even being a member so you can see what servers will perform like before you buy...which I havent seen on any other VPN website

In Romania PIA have 16 x 1Gbps servers - 16,000Mbps worth of bandwidth - I get full speed most of the time, you lose a small percentage for the 256-bit AES Encryption - e.g. my 38Mbps will dip to 34-35Mbps and upload drop from 9 to about 8.5 - obviously Latency (ping) is higher due to using VPN but I can still get between 40ms+ (UK) - 100ms+ (EU) depending on servers, a big rise in terms of numbers (as I get 15ms without VPN), but in real life performance its not even noticeable, web pages still load about the same... instead of 1 second it might take 1.5 to load

and best of all its only 30 a year (less than 3 a month when paid yearly)

3054 servers in 43 locations across 28 countries = 3Tbps (3,054,000Mbps of available bandwidth)
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2018, 21:47:06 »
actually when my 30 days of testing PIA out im gunna try AirVPN as theyre supposed to be good and 3 day free test
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2018, 10:45:58 »
I've been doing more research and turns out AirVPN is actually meant to be controlled by activists and hacktivists so will be more robust and reliable....probably... a 2 year PIA user has just informed me that PIA is now top heavy and staff slow and lie? and will be leaving when his 1-year contract is up to AirVPN which are much better he says so I looked into them and that's what I found out...I like that I can just pay 1 month and try one out then shift...then I will make a decision on which to fix on
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2018, 00:09:03 »
Ok DNS got it. :)
How much coffee? lol
I read it, thankyou at least someone will explain it to me so understand :)
If I'm not sure I can read it again.

I like the hardware the mini PC/Pi wow the thing's I would like to do with that...just joking.
But really that Pi would be very helpful tool in schools, work or home for retro gaming. :D
My favorite game is doom and I even have it on super nuntendo, someone broke the RCA converter, I think that's what it's called. But they are avalible online.

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2018, 00:22:27 »
Ok DNS got it. :)
How much coffee? lol
I read it, thankyou at least someone will explain it to me so understand :)
If I'm not sure I can read it again.

I like the hardware the mini PC/Pi wow the thing's I would like to do with that...just joking.
But really that Pi would be very helpful tool in schools, work or home for retro gaming. :D
My favorite game is doom and I even have it on super nuntendo, someone broke the RCA converter, I think that's what it's called. But they are avalible online.

you can get SNES emulators for windows and android :)
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2018, 01:40:42 »
I do have a good snes sim for the pc somewhere?
But it's still hard to beat original, what you think?

« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2018, 01:45:37 »
But would you be able to recomend any good emulators for a tablet pc running android, not sure which ver of android but it's a generic 10.1" screen and it's old?

« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2018, 01:50:13 »
I can find out, if needed. thankyou:1
How well does the HDMI port work on the Pi?

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2018, 12:24:37 »
I could have a look for emulators a bit later on for you

I used to use MAME arcade emulator on PC with ROMs which are copies of the actual ROM chips from the machines so you played the EXACT same graphics and even performance (which you could increase), I used to like SALAMANDER (Nemesis 2) and on the first level it would slow and stutter halfway through the level due to too much going on on the arcade in the late 80's and it did the exact same thing on MAME hehe, but you could turn on enhancements and erase that problem, but it was nice to see the 4 core 2015 Intel 3300Mhz x 4 cores CPU on my PC emulating a 3Mhz 1 core 80's Zilog CPU hehe

the HDMI on the pPi is actually a FULL size one believe it or not, i thought it would be a mini to max thing but its full size, just plug in and works, SD card is the hard-drive so as I say you can have many of them with different things on.

They do get used in schools and for people making their own servers etc
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10

« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2018, 08:57:52 »
 thankyou:1

O.K I thought mini HDMI too, intertesting