Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How's your garden looking?  (Read 161 times)

Offline fudgietheoriginal

How's your garden looking?
« on: 17 April 2017, 07:00:42 »
Advertisement
My garden looks rough as guts and it should look better because I know better.
You would think I would because I went to colleage years ago in OZ and completed and landscape and nursy hand certificate. For the last 3 seasons I have been Gardening and I really enjoy restoring old run down gardens. I seem to attract busness from older customers and vacant properties, because I keep the cost low but attend regularly.

Anyway getting to the point, I attened a new clients address the other day (been there only once before) he's an older man in his 80's and his wife had just been diagnosed with cancer, a shadow on the lung and 2 weeks to live. Of course he didn't share that with me (he was in shock) his son did after I texted him and asked "is everything ok, your dad seemed really off today when he sent me home". I know I shouldn't get involved so I rang his mate who recomened the job and let him know what happened, as they are very good friends.
He didn't know and was shocked by the news. Normaly I would just leave it at that, it's none of my busness I'm sure the family could do with some privacy in this difficult time. But his wife wanted that garden done before she passed and her son told me they are trying to get her home to say good bye properly.

I'm not sure what I can do?

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
Re: How's your garden looking?
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2017, 10:20:05 »
Oh dear very difficult situation, i don't think you can do anything really  its a very private time
Personally i would leave the garden for a while saying something like you did not want to intrude on their private time.
I had similar situation a couple of years ago before i retired from computer repair, i got a phone call from an elderly  customer of mine had a problem with their pc, anyway was about to leave when his wife said to me i am terribly sorry she said but Reg is terminally ill, talk about being struck dumb i have known this couple for a good few years.
Hearing this made sense when he shook my hand and said thanks for all your help don't think i will be seeing you again i was puzzled by what he meant, within four weeks he was gone. 
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline fudgietheoriginal

« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2017, 18:45:05 »
Thanks Den :)

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2017, 22:03:36 »
Fudgie , know you are a good caring guy ,  my thoughts are to keep in contact with the Son , sure if the dear old soul makes it home to see her garden , let family decide if they need your help , if they do I am sure she would appreciate knowing  you were helping if only for her husbands future ,