Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Issues with website (FIXED!)  (Read 725 times)

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
Issues with website (FIXED!)
« on: 16 April 2017, 22:06:30 »
Advertisement
anyone using Tapatalk one this forum been having issues with it?

the problem weve been having id every day there are CORE (ERROR DUMP) files of 21MB in size being made sometimes as many as 10-20 per day... just the other day I got a warning saying we were over our 2.5GB usage, we only use 300-400MB lol

so been on to TSO who say NOTHING WRONG HERE...BUT OUR PHP ERROR LOG SHOWED 8 ERRORS FOR 2 DAYS!!  so, got onto SMF (forum creators) who said:

I'm fairly certain those [trapped] php errors wouldn't be causing your core dumps.

(they look at the problematic PHP file for me and said this: Looks like the Tapatalk mod was misinstalled 3 times.
Replace your file with the attached, then let us know if the core dumps cease.)

If a syntax error is forcing a core dump, the host still has issues.

if anyone is using Tapatalk can you let me know

A) How Often you on the forum per day?
B) do you have any issues?
C) does it use its own theme>? or the forums?

the reason I highlight C is because the fault is coming from a file that handles part of the 'default' theme and we dont use the DEFAULT theme unless you have set it manually which im sure is turned off anyway  then that is whats 'triggering' the faulty code

according to SMF staff it looks like TAPATALK has been mis-installed 3 times (and if they could tell that from ONE PHP file on my god only knows how much of a state the rest of the forum is)

ive talked about it for 1 yar or two now but that big RESET is on the cards....we will lose the theme and guide pages etc until I rebuild it and even then you have to stay away from puttin lots of modifications on as they can mess up code -  I hope in build 2.1 they have made a better plugin implementation

VDSL Fibre 40/2
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq Chipset)
on PlusNet

Offline thar

Re: Issues with website (possibly Tapatalk related)
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2017, 14:03:42 »
A) How Often you on the forum per day?
2 or 3 times

B) do you have any issues? It can sometimes take a while to load the forum.

If I back out of the app and load it up again it loads the second time. I wouldn't say I'm having major problems though.

C) does it use its own theme>? or the forums? This is what I see

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2017, 14:45:02 »
still having issues

do the times these error CORE files seem fimiliar to any users on Tapatalk? as in do they match up with time youve been on here through TT

VDSL Fibre 40/2
on PlusNet

Offline thar

« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2017, 15:03:56 »
The 13:55 one could be me but I definitely wasn't on at 06:11 today, still tucked up in bed then on a Bank Holiday Monday :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline KRW

« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2017, 16:05:32 »
I think the others are me 😘 Using TT forum layout, have  noticed that sometimes TTF forum topics updates weren't appearing ,as mentioned earlier, so needed to use unread posts.I use TT 90% of the time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit    Netgear D7000
Down/Up Connect Speed  80/20 Mbp (max speed 70Mb/19Mb) updated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1483655240613837255

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2017, 21:57:39 »
i think theres an issue with our Tapatalk install, will try and sort it tomoz, but every time someone uses it and changes a page a 21MB error dump file is created

please continue to use it... its no major issue..but something that does need fixing and I dont want to lose regulars just to turn tapatalk off
VDSL Fibre 40/2
on PlusNet

Offline KRW

« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2017, 22:47:22 »
Ok, thanks

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline thar

« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2017, 19:51:11 »
Don't know if KRW is experiencing this or of it's just me, but when I try to read a unread post, I get taken to a completely different post that I've already read?

Offline KRW

« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2017, 19:59:25 »
Thar,

No, but your post is the first forum update Ive had since the 16th Aug.

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2017, 19:32:48 »
there is obviously issues with Tapatalk and its causing problems with our website as well

Im getting limited support from SMF forum creators as the issue is 'ours'

if I cant resolve it (which I probably cant) then I would have to PAY a PHP coder (preferably an SMF staff member) to look at our site code, they looked at the 'default view' file which was throwing out PHP errors (according to TSO hosting) , we dont use the default forum view on normal use, it must be activated by Taptalk, SMF were kind enough to report that it looked like Tapatalk has been installed incorrectly 3 times, not my fault, how the forum addons work and I never submit an addon that says it cant install correctly as they check before actually installing, it does seem to be a poor system (it finds code thats 'supposed' to be there and replaces it with new code) , thing is after installing many addons you get problems.....like this.

All I can do is uninstall Tapatalk and try and reinstall it

SMF are still adamant that its most likely the hosts problem, the hosts said they found an issue on their end and increased memory or something....but the errors are still happening, everytime someone uses Tapatalk a 21MB ERROR DUMP file is dumped on our server and I have to delete these every few days otherwise we go over our 2.5GB storage limit

e.g. ive just now deleted 750MB worth after only deleting them a few days ago.

I dont have any resources to pay for someone to look at it, our Adsense has dropped to 1p per day and you only get paid once you've made 60 - when we first got it we were earning quite well...but as the numbers drop so does the prices, so even if you have a good week after several poor weeks your still gunna be paid much, much less than before.... diminishing returns, you need several good weeks in a row to pick the 'price per thousand' views back up (that is getting advert clicks every day and a good click-to-visit ratio).. e.g if i get 3 clicks from only 80 views that day we would get paid more than 3 clicks from 200 views

TSO also report that error was coming from Index.php which is the front page of the website... it seems to have started along the same time line as Adsense, that advert on the main page is responsible for about 20% of the adsense income, If reinstalling Tapatalk doesnt work I can only try and remove that advert and see if that stops it....otherwise its just whenever someone on TT visits their index page for us that the error dump happens

might have to as Tapatalk creators for support

sigh!
VDSL Fibre 40/2
on PlusNet

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2017, 17:25:20 »
since i made the post above yesterday 2.3GB worth (108 files) dumps have been made and received warning for going over limit.
VDSL Fibre 40/2
on PlusNet

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2017, 17:41:00 »
....also just uninstalled TT and reinstalled with a slightly newer version, this will have overwritten the 'repaired' file, I still have a copy but dont know if I should install it - I dont even know where to look for PHP errors, just wondering if thats something only the hosts can have access too or see?  I should be able to have access to these errors but ive looked everywhere in cPanel and can not find it under the PHP section, otherwise I could see if those 'other' errors started happening and thus replace the file again to fix that part

lets see if this helps

im 99% sure it wont help at all..
VDSL Fibre 40/2
on PlusNet

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2017, 18:49:31 »
official.....still doing it after update....someone must have just been on tapatalk in last 30 mins??  around 6.10-6:40pm...can anyone confirm this?

Im getting Tapatalk Support involved so thats THREE arms of support SMF (forum creators) / TSO (Hosting) / Tapatalk (script)

looks like the MASTER RESET is gunna have to be used and this website will lose all the work Ive put into the pages and front page design changes I did manually to the DS-Natural theme, lose the main page and the links will return to default (you will lose your UNREAD POSTS link etc) - I could rebuild using minimal script usage but it would take weeks of non stop effort.
VDSL Fibre 40/2
on PlusNet

Offline thar

« Reply #13 on: 01 May 2017, 20:41:31 »
Don't think it was me, doing the housewifey thing at that time. If it's too much trouble mate, ditch it, we'll cope 🙂

Offline KRW

« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2017, 20:58:21 »
It was me, just to confirm I'm going to be on at 9pm

Offline KRW

« Reply #15 on: 01 May 2017, 21:00:49 »
Ok I'm using TT. As Thar said ditch TT, I'll use the web browser.

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #16 on: 01 May 2017, 21:46:25 »
9:25pm and 6:42pm today

thing is due to the template were using and some mods to try and make a half decent looking landing page means its not mobile friendly (even tells me that in google search results) - you would have to zoom in etc etc... ok on Tablet but not mobile phone

I dont want to lose regulars because you only use mobile device to access the forum... :( ...we are quiet enough as it is..

Just continue to use it and I will continue to confer with TT/SMF/TSO - ive managed to find the PHP error log and it reports no errors since 16th when SMF fixed the code (which has now been replaced with the newer version of TT mod)

so that issue is still fixed.... but something else related is causing a memory leak... according to TSO anyway - SMF have suspicions that it could be a fault at the hosts end...

its all started I think since I installed that Adsense.... but I cant be 100% certain... I would have to remove the mod and ad code (which would only take 5 minutes) and give the site a whirl without ads for a few days (not like im gunna miss out on a fortune)

but its strange that these files only SEEM to appear when someone access TT - just wondering if TT is struggling with Adsense code?  who knows?  I will have to wait for responses from SMF (who seem to have given up on me - or waiting for offer of price!) and  from Tapatalk....  TSO are trying their best to help, even going beyond their scope of support and done some sort of 'scan'..?  virus scan I think... he got few hits but even he said they are False Positives as he checked the code.... 2 files are from ProjectHoneyPot which helps stop spammers and the rest are from SEOpanel which is something totally outside the site completely, but still runs on the server, I installed that the same time as Adsense trying to boost our rankings in search queries... but it looked difficult to use and havent touched it since...

latest from TSO:

Hi Paul,

I can confirm it's a virus scanner however as mentioned it's not 100 % accurate and in this case, the files listed do not seem to be malicious or infected.

It's possible the issues are due to those additions you mentioned however this is kind out of our support's scope. This would have to be looked at by a developer as to why it's happening. We are not so PHP oriented so we can't really debug the issue for you. Having said that, if there is anything we can do to help, we'll assist you.

Kind regards,

Kalin

whilst trying to help, that response above from TSO Hosting tells me that SMF will have more knowledge on whats happening than the hosts, seeing as they have to learn to deal with both Hosting and PHP

just keep using it for now...

the forum has long been due a reset anyway... those pages in guides etc are all saved as HTML files on my PC and on Google Drive (Cloud) - so the information itself will be saved... just layout, design and everything will revert to default and the landing page completely removed along with those extra added links to guides and unread posts - I can remake all this, just being careful only to install the mods we need as a MUST HAVE
VDSL Fibre 40/2
on PlusNet

Offline KRW

« Reply #17 on: 01 May 2017, 21:57:55 »
Ok, I know you have the tenacity to solve this

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #18 on: 02 May 2017, 15:29:58 »
any TT users confirm access to the site today at around 14:45 and 15:25...?

I guess I will have to install tapatalk myself and see if I can prove once and for all its 100% when TT is used.
VDSL Fibre 40/2
on PlusNet

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
Re: Issues with website (FIXED)
« Reply #19 on: 02 May 2017, 16:10:47 »
Ok, I know you have the tenacity to solve this

Im as Tenacious as Sherlock Holmes when it comes to solving tech problems lol.... infact thats what I should of made my new name...Sherlock hehe

any TT users confirm access to the site today at around 14:45 and 15:25...?

I guess I will have to install tapatalk myself and see if I can prove once and for all its 100% when TT is used.
VDSL Fibre 40/2
on PlusNet