Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Driving test: Learners must be able to use sat navs  (Read 179 times)

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
Driving test: Learners must be able to use sat navs
« on: 15 April 2017, 18:11:26 »
Advertisement
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39594852

Learner drivers will have to be able to follow directions from a sat nav and drive into a parking space to pass their test.
Ministers have announced four changes to the current test which will come into force on 4 December.
Drivers will also be expected to answer vehicle safety questions while on the move and complete 20 minutes of independent driving rather than 10.
The RAC Foundation said it would be a "far more realistic assessment".
Changing behaviours
The Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), which is in charge of running driving tests and approving instructors, said it wanted the test to have "more real life scenarios" such as driving into and reversing out of a parking space.
It said it wants the test to reflect the changing behaviours of drivers.
Manoeuvres such as "reverse around a corner" will be replaced in the new test and examiners will test a driver's ability to use a sat nav as an alternative to following road signs.
About half of all car drivers now have a sat nav and using them teaches drivers to better manage distractions, the DVSA said.
The "show me" and "tell me" question at the beginning of the test will become a "show me" question while driving such as asking candidates to use the rear windscreen heater.
The DVSA said increasing the time candidates had to do independent driving would allow the examiner to better assess the driver's ability to drive safely on high risk roads.
Currently, learner drivers spend a large amount of test time on low risk roads such as housing estates.
Using a sat navImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Transport minister Andrew Jones said despite the UK having some of the safest roads in the world, the government was "always looking to make them safer".
Mr Jones said: "Ensuring the driving test is relevant in the 21st Century - for example, the introduction of sat navs, will go a long way towards doing this."
Evolving technology
The DVSA said a public consultation on the changes received almost 4,000 responses, with 71% agreeing with asking candidates to follow directions from a sat nav.
Some 88% agreed with increasing the length of the independent driving part of the test, it said, while others agreed with the changes to the reversing manoeuvres and "show me" questions.
RAC Foundation director Steve Gooding said: "We are very supportive of the revisions DVSA is making to the practical driving test, which will mean candidates undergo a far more realistic assessment of their readiness to take to the road unsupervised.
"Much has changed since the first driving test was taken in 1935, and it must be right that the test evolves, just as the cars we drive are themselves changing to incorporate ever more driver assist technology such as inbuilt sat nav systems.
"Novice drivers need to demonstrate the right skills and driving style to cope with the new environment."
In December 2016, the Department for Transport announced plans to allow learner drivers on the motorway. Results from this consultation will be released later this year.
Disabled Motoring UK also supports the changes because many disabled drivers use sat navs regularly.
Have you had a driving test disaster? Let us know about your experiences. Please email haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk with your experiences.
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:
Email haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk
WhatsApp: +44 7525 900971
Send pictures/video to yourpics@bbc.co.uk
Or Upload your pictures/video here
Tweet: @BBC_HaveYourSay
Send an SMS or MMS to 61124 or +44 7624 800 100

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39594852
VDSL Fibre 40/2
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq Chipset)
on PlusNet

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
Re: Driving test: Learners must be able to use sat navs
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2017, 01:04:18 »
using sat nav's  not sure on that for a  driving test indeed I have a old non upgradable  one with failing battery, usefully for finaly destination via post code ,  but often get in "200 yrds turn right"  to face a "no entry sign ",  then passing by get a do a U turn !   on a busy A road to hell ?,
either way  no mention of a test increase on cost ,  very much like encouraging drivers to switch to diesel ,many did , now paying for it with extra road tax for Nox pollution  ,   well know problem  years back by vehicle engineers  , I often banter with  my sat nav's women's voice directions ,  just to annoy her,
 in my own mind  it helps to stay sane , others often doubt ,  >:D

Offline fudgietheoriginal

« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2017, 05:12:14 »
I often banter with  my sat nav's women's voice directions ,  just to annoy her,
 in my own mind  it helps to stay sane , others often doubt ,  >:D

I do roco, it keeps me alert when I'm driving and I have the voice set to Australian. ;D

Manoeuvres such as "reverse around a corner" will be replaced in the new test and examiners will test a driver's ability to use a sat nav as an alternative to following road signs.

That concerns me just a little because police are cracking down on the use of electronic devices in cars.
Also, people need to learn how to reverse round a corner, it comes in handy when your first learning to maneuver a trailor/caravan.

What they need to ensure is people look before they reverse and learn how to use indicators when there is more than one way to go. Those things would help no end on the road.
The last thing, mirrors were put there for a reason. JMO

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2017, 22:32:38 »
@ Fudgie  you must have a smart Satnav , would love to set mine to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG0v9tZStAk but only does English . USA English ?   Dutch German or French
unfortunately my first heard language Jersaire ( old Norman French that even the French  today don't understand , )  only 150 fluent  speakers today ,  although I have heard it's back on the islands school language course's  ,   should languages be allowed to die out ,  we respect old historic buildings  to the tune of billions , and ignore the original builders way of thinking and talking ,