Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Portable Moniter with PS3 super slim  (Read 194 times)

Offline totallyrocks

• Noobie
Portable Moniter with PS3 super slim
« on: 14 April 2017, 13:06:17 »
Advertisement
Hi guys im trying to make a camper van system (12v) with a portable moniter and PS3 but dont think the ASUS USB monitors would work without an operating system.  The Gechic 2501H has hdmi in but additional usb power, then can I use an adapter for audio to plug into the vans aux jack?

or use something like this in the AV out?
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/HOT-Selling-Free-Shipping-Wii-to-HDMI-Converter-Adapter-HDMI-Connector-Wii-AV-Multi-Out-Plug/116238_1775521926.html

PS the normal DVD tvs are too thick and heavy for what I want

Thanks guys

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
Re: Portable Moniter with PS3 super slim
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2017, 18:56:02 »
Hi and welcome  :afro:

sorry you have me a bit lost?  sounds like a few things going on>?

with ASUS USB monitors do you mean speakers? if so, what OS did they run on?

the item you link to is Wii to HDMI... doesnt mention about being able to use it in reverse? or am i getting that wrong? also isnt the HDMI port a Mini-one on that portable screen>?

sorry Im not a Console Gamer per se

what does the DVDs have to do with it...im intrigued.? thick & heavy..?

maybe someone who owns a PS3 will know exactly what you mean?

for audio there are plenty of adapters you can use...headphone to RCA (red/white) sounds like the cable you need

me personally would need a bit more info (explain as if I dont own a current console) but i can certainly help with connectivity...just need a bit more info for me lol....sorry
VDSL Fibre 40/2
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq Chipset)
on PlusNet

Offline Stevan

« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2017, 21:34:13 »
...who said that?

Offline totallyrocks

• Noobie
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2017, 22:05:18 »
Hi and welcome  :afro:

sorry you have me a bit lost?  sounds like a few things going on>?

with ASUS USB monitors do you mean speakers? if so, what OS did they run on?

the item you link to is Wii to HDMI... doesnt mention about being able to use it in reverse? or am i getting that wrong? also isnt the HDMI port a Mini-one on that portable screen>?

sorry Im not a Console Gamer per se

what does the DVDs have to do with it...im intrigued.? thick & heavy..?

maybe someone who owns a PS3 will know exactly what you mean?

for audio there are plenty of adapters you can use...headphone to RCA (red/white) sounds like the cable you need

me personally would need a bit more info (explain as if I dont own a current console) but i can certainly help with connectivity...just need a bit more info for me lol....sorry

I would like to run the thinner ASUS MB169C+ as it runs off a single USB but cant connect it to the PS3 as its drivers are for windows etc, and cant get hdmi to usb cable-only vice versa.  The GeChic 2501H FHD is plug and play with separate mini hdmi and usb power, but still need an audio out adapter to plug to the van aux jack.  The Wii adapter came up from a search for 'AV multi out adapter' but is not designed for the PS3, but is the port the same? it would then give me a hdmi and aux in one go.

cheers

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2017, 17:55:52 »
what about Stevans suggestion above? 

right from what I can gather is all you need is HDMI to HDMI to the monitor and RCA to RCA from the AV SCART out on the PS3 to the Vans RCA IN (red/white either end)... as cables are 1 from poundland its worth a try too see if the audio is kicking out those RCA ports next to scart on a PS3 (just had a lok at diagram). they should be cos SCART isnt "switched" (knows too turn audio or other stuff on when SCART is plugged in - least I would think not) but if not it only cost 1 to find out... you would then be needing to look at switch (similar to on you mention) of some sort that can pull the audio from HDMI into an out..  but in the direction you need (which is HDMI to HDMI and Audio out separate)

Ive to go out for BBQ but will look further into it tonight/tomoz...
VDSL Fibre 40/2
on PlusNet

Offline totallyrocks

• Noobie
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2017, 11:44:47 »
here are the ports available
http://avik-fidocs.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/ps3-super-slim-review.html
the van wont have RCA in just 3.5mm audio jack, and there is no SCART anywhere so would rather avoid RCA cables and keep it clean HD with as few adapters as possible. 
the ASUS has only one USB for power and signal-preferred but as I said think it needs windows/mac.
The GeChic is PS3 compatible but less desirable with more cables and thicker, all ports are mini see here
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-gechic-on-lap-2501h-ips-portable-monitor-full-hd-ips-1920x1080
Its has DCIN, VGA, HDMI and aux jack but dont want to use the crappy screen speakers.

The best way is if there's one adapter from PS3 AV out to hdmi and audio jack-like the wii, or you can get an optical digital to analogue audio converter but requires its own power which adds more ballache. 

Thanks everyone for helping, if they weren't so much money Id just get it and see what works

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2017, 17:12:56 »
p.p.s the PS3 diag I looked at showed a SCART connection and also a Audio Out Headphone jack...??

ok theres this method but i dunno if it will disable the VIDEO OUT on the HDMI otherwise you would need a switch which can take HDMI and split it but also split audio out

one of these 1080i AV Out

And one of these

connect the AV out to PS3 -> WHITE/RED RCA on Component cable -> to female adpaters on one below -> other end to vans 3.5mm Jack input

Hoefully the HDMI wont turn off... if it dos you can always use a Component to HDMi converter to get video back through HDMI

something like this

might get em all cheapers eslwhere...but if the fist two together dont turn off HDMI (unlikely) then buy the switch and plug the RED GREEN BLUE into thet and HDMI from the otherside to the monitor

JOB DONE!

EDIT: COMPOSITE KEEPS 1080I...SO WONT LOSE RELOUTION
VDSL Fibre 40/2
on PlusNet

Offline totallyrocks

• Noobie
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2017, 22:06:11 »
p.p.s the PS3 diag I looked at showed a SCART connection and also a Audio Out Headphone jack...??

ok theres this method but i dunno if it will disable the VIDEO OUT on the HDMI otherwise you would need a switch which can take HDMI and split it but also split audio out

one of these 1080i AV Out

And one of these

connect the AV out to PS3 -> WHITE/RED RCA on Component cable -> to female adpaters on one below -> other end to vans 3.5mm Jack input

Hoefully the HDMI wont turn off... if it dos you can always use a Component to HDMi converter to get video back through HDMI

something like this

might get em all cheapers eslwhere...but if the fist two together dont turn off HDMI (unlikely) then buy the switch and plug the RED GREEN BLUE into thet and HDMI from the otherside to the monitor

JOB DONE!

EDIT: COMPOSITE KEEPS 1080I...SO WONT LOSE RELOUTION

I wouldnt call the PS3 'AV MULTI OUT' a SCART but maybe your using it as a generic term. 
http://im.tech2.in.com/gallery/2012/nov/superslim03_201936153316.jpg

Theres no audio jack just an optical out i believe, and want to avoid an adapters that require power as it means another wire going to the vans inverter just to be turned back to 5v.

If the HDMI doesnt turn off I can use a HDMI to mini HDMI for the video, then the AV to composite+ composite to audio jack for audio.  Its not pretty but it may work, though I still need a USB to power the moniter which could be done from a small battery pack/phone bank

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2017, 11:34:21 »
what I meant to say was that a picture/diagram of PS3 I very first looked at had a scart on the back which had a headphones jack next to it..must have been a different PS 

I would just try that method...  using two cables similar to one above

the difficulty you have is with the screen having no 3.5mm - cant you sell it and get one that does have audio out>?

cos the only way (that I can see & if the way above doesnt work) is by use of switches (which you dont want to do)

theres this DAC too but again requires a 5v PSU - optical out-to-3.5mm

VDSL Fibre 40/2
on PlusNet

Offline totallyrocks

• Noobie
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2017, 15:56:49 »
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Multiple-Video-Output-on-PS3/td-p/6914429

In the above thread they say you cant have multiple video outputs but can have more than 1 audio.  If I use the 'SCART'/AV OUT cable and jack cable for audio would the HDMI turn off even if the video on the SCART isn't being used?

Would it recognise theres no connetion or just think there is by plugging the cable in?

This is the big question and only way to avoid using more adapters/space/sockets/power in a small camper van.

Cheers 1bit

Offline totallyrocks

• Noobie
« Reply #10 on: 20 April 2017, 16:19:11 »
I think I figured it out, use a passive HDMI splitter then the a HDMI to AV and composite to aux jack on one output, and HDMI to mini HDMI on other for video.

splitter -
http://www.gearbest.com/cables-connectors/pp_314978.html

Or
http://www.dx.com/p/hdmi-male-to-vga-female-audio-jack-adapter-black-golden-236968

with a VGA cable, depends if VGA is as good as HDMI?

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #11 on: 20 April 2017, 16:27:55 »
very strange?? I didnt know you can get HDMI splitters that arent switches like routers...because to HDMI to multiple TV they need to repower-up the signal, I used to work in currys and this is how all the TV's were hooked up... by various links of switches

think of it like a splitter Ethernet cable...

BUT

Thats not the purpose here, looks like youve found your own solution my friend (using both) :)

PS3 -> HDMI SPLITTER -> HDMI-to-MiniHDMI -> TV
HDMI SPLITTER -> VGA CONVERTER -> 3.5mm -> VAN speakers

and you get the 3.5mm cable in the box (10cm)

but im sure if anyone tried to get 2 HDMI TV's running with that splitter i would be surprised it works..
edit - after some quick research it would seem theres enough power to use a 2-way 'passive' splitter only and only works if the TV's are of same size and model, need 3 or more then you need a 'active' switch :)

as your only using 1 HDMI signal and its all passive equipment I know this should work 99.999999% lol

P.S. you dont have anything to do with the VGA side of it. you just want the Audio OUT from the device
VDSL Fibre 40/2
on PlusNet