Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: added novice corner for those noobs :)  (Read 379 times)

Offline fudgietheoriginal

Re: added novice corner for those noobs :)
« Reply #20 on: 17 April 2017, 19:02:22 »
Advertisement
What happens is IF an Anti Virus is clever enough to detect the embedded activated license (in illegal copies) it removes it and your OS reports you have 3 days to activate , then it wont let you open stuff or something like that once logged in...

You also run the risk of embedded malware in illegal copies.

since windows 8/8.1/8.2/10  MS have been running something called TELEMETRY, it is this that causes the extended 'writing' too SSD/HDD - its recording everything you do and happening for diagnostics and better experiences in future (and sends it all to MS)... I have disabled as much as I can...spybot has a great free tool that stops most of it but best find a page about it first and doing all the manual stuff in settings then using that tool

Wow, thankyou:1
So gone are the days when you could just delete the chipset drivers and change out the Mobo and cpu?..Bummer. :(

Some how I don't think MS's first priority is only dodgy windows copy's.
MS is in a race and they want to get to the top of the hill first, before the switch is flicked.

Offline Roco

• Super-Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: 18 April 2017, 21:36:01 »
Think you are right Fudgie, gone are the "good old days " when you could borrow a mates original o/s , download a key gen ,( not that I ever did  ;) ) , but lots of folk did ,   I always played it honest hence Mr Gates made a few bob  , while I rode a bicycle to work in the rain  :(
BTW ,the  1bit link on telemetry  also apples to updated Win 7 ,  personally I have no reason to fear m/s 'logging my online activities , all boring stuff and if a human has to read it they would find it beat any pill for a good nights sleep  :blank:

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #22 on: 01 May 2017, 22:37:36 »
thankyou:1 Den1
XP pro used to be my favourite O/S until win7pro. :)

snap...now win10 i love apart from its telemetry...

What would you say 10's best features were for you?
I will upgrade my O/S eventually but not ATM.

sorry fudge i didnt see this, been busy l8ly

Windows 10 is like a cross between Windows 7, 8 and Linux (design), its quite fast and benchmarks have proven it is definitely the faster better OS for gaming...so that says a lot about resource usage on it, seems a lot 'lighter' on the system. and TBH I do like having the tiles on the start menu and access to the store, I do use SOME usefull apps.

The only thing I hate is the constant writing to the hard-drive by diagnostics and telemetry, it never stops...it might be small amounts such as 10-20KB's per second on average, I would rather it didnt spy on me, report everything I do back to MS....so Ive disabled all that - the diagnostic writes are almost impossible to stop... turning off diagnostics doesnt stop W10 constantly logging everything to help aid diagnostics.
VDSL Fibre 40/2
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq Chipset)
on PlusNet

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #23 on: 02 May 2017, 15:53:58 »

Windows 10 is like a cross between Windows 7, 8 and Linux (design), its quite fast and benchmarks have proven it is definitely the faster better OS for gaming...so that says a lot about resource usage on it, seems a lot 'lighter' on the system. and TBH I do like having the tiles on the start menu and access to the store, I do use SOME usefull apps.

The only thing I hate is the constant writing to the hard-drive by diagnostics and telemetry, it never stops...it might be small amounts such as 10-20KB's per second on average, I would rather it didnt spy on me, report everything I do back to MS....so Ive disabled all that - the diagnostic writes are almost impossible to stop... turning off diagnostics doesnt stop W10 constantly logging everything to help aid diagnostics.
What would be even better if windows supported drives bigger than 2Tb out of the box like Linux already does   ;) 
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #24 on: 02 May 2017, 16:21:43 »

What would be even better if windows supported drives bigger than 2Tb out of the box like Linux already does   ;)

doesnt it? I thought that issue was resolved years ago?  what with companies selling 4TB drives etc... ive not seen anyone asking how to get them working on any forums? in fact I dont even know what the fix is? can you indulge me?
VDSL Fibre 40/2
on PlusNet

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #25 on: 02 May 2017, 16:39:45 »
In order for windows to see drives bigger than 2.2TB you have to format the drive using the GPT file system, windows wont do this by default. booting requires a motherboard that supports UEFI  most boards built after 2011 do anyway
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #26 on: 02 May 2017, 17:27:58 »
In order for windows to see drives bigger than 2.2TB you have to format the drive using the GPT file system, windows wont do this by default. booting requires a motherboard that supports UEFI  most boards built after 2011 do anyway

even now on windows 10? using a UEFI board I would have to format GPT if I had a 3TB+ drive?

ive done a quick bit of research (really quick lol) and it what ive seen is it appears to be limited to windows 7 and older motherboards... Im assuming if you have a UEFI (newer mobo) and windows 10 it should recognize the 4TB drive as 4TB once active and formatted NTFS.... ??  am I right or am I wrong?

do you still have to format it as GPT?

goes this GPT file system have any downsides compared to NTFS>? (such as being able to store files bigger than 4GB etc)

edit: was just going off this from tom hardware:

Winly said:
if the hard drive is new, remember you have to format the drive and set it to GPT if you are in windows 7, so you can use the whole 4TB as 1 drive.
VDSL Fibre 40/2
on PlusNet

Offline Den1

• STAFF - Tech Expert
  • Super-Hero Member
    • myallotment.net
« Reply #27 on: 02 May 2017, 17:56:43 »
even now on windows 10? using a UEFI board I would have to format GPT if I had a 3TB+ drive?
Yes
m assuming if you have a UEFI (newer mobo) and windows 10 it should recognize the 4TB drive as 4TB once active and formatted NTFS.... ??  am I right or am I wrong?
Wrong the drive still needs to be formatted to GPT to access full capacity

This applies to boot drives and storage drives from win 10 down to vista

Offline 1bit

• Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
« Reply #28 on: 02 May 2017, 19:30:34 »
Yes
m assuming if you have a UEFI (newer mobo) and windows 10 it should recognize the 4TB drive as 4TB once active and formatted NTFS.... ??  am I right or am I wrong?
Wrong the drive still needs to be formatted to GPT to access full capacity

This applies to boot drives and storage drives from win 10 down to vista

well ... learn something new every day hehe - never had to deal with it, now I know

thanks Den  :afro:
VDSL Fibre 40/2
on PlusNet