Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can I transfer a BBC i player downloaded programme onto a USB stick or mem card?  (Read 266 times)

Offline Thicko

• Noobie
Hi. Hope I am in the right place. I have downloaded a TV prog. It is about 1.2GB in size. I want to move it to an 8GB USB stick but it won't go. I have also downloaded it on keepvid. What I want is to be able to view it forever, and not just until the BBC removes it from i player in 9 days time. I have no android device or i phone or anything, just the laptop where the programme currently is stored, and an empty 8GB USB stick. I tried copying it to USB by dragging it but it has gone into the H drive and not the USB stick itself.
Also, how can I email the prog to someone else? When I tried, it said the email couldn't be sent because the content was potentially a security threat, which it wasn't. It was only a programme about rural vicars.
Basic, simple, step by step language, please. I don't understand any terminology or any jargon and no shortcuts. You have to spell everything out to me.  [smiley hello but don't know how to do that]

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
HI WELCOME TO TTF :)

NORMALLY...to email .exe programs (programs that can be run and have viruses in them) you need to install winzip and right-click on the video and choose it into a winzip file (a kind of secret folder that you are allowed to send) - but emails dont usually allow for 1.2GB file sizes, upto 100MB only etc) so your best bet is MEGA , install on PC 50GB Free online storage - pop  the 1.2Gb video file into a 'new folder' named video within the MEGA folder and you can access it anywhere in the world, on mobiles, or computers as longs as thers a web connection

as for USB - when recording from TV some of them use their own proprietary codecs meanin playback might not work on PC...some do just use AVI/MKV with x264 codec which would playback on PC but might copy copyright protection (although that wouldnt stop a simple copy)

try formatting the USB to NTFS  with 64k Cluster Size and try and copy it across ,failing that ZIP it, copy ZIP file across and carry a copy of winzip portable on the usb to unpack it - or format the USB exFAT and try that

any formet should handle 1.2GB is size...itcould be software protectoin

give those a try and reportback - event FAT32 allows upto 4GB files sizes
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq M41a)

Offline Thicko

• Noobie
Thanks for all that. I'll take it to a friend who will know how to do these things and will report back after that. thankyou:1

Offline fudgietheoriginal

• Full-Time Member
Hi and welcome Thicko.
1bit knows his stuff and I'm sure the advice above is the best.
But you also have to keep in mind the work arounds are not easy for everyone to understand including...I think that's why not many people bother. ;) :)

Have you tried free sat?

Offline 1bit

• STAFF - Technical Expert
  • Must be an Admin?
    • Tech Forum
i just realised that its a bbc iplayer file which will most def have copyright protection on with a kill time of 8 days

your best using a conversion program that might be able to remove it
PlusNet VDSL Fibre 40/10
BT HomeHub 5B (Broadcom 63168) <---> ECI Dslam (Lantiq M41a)

Offline Thicko

• Noobie
Hi Fudgietheoriginal,
Yes, you will be right about 1bit, I'm sure. About Freesat. I don't have Freesat or a sat dish. I have Freeview. Think I might film the 6 seconds of the programme that I actually want to keep, on my camera, from the computer screen.  thankyou:1

Offline Thicko

• Noobie
Hi 1Bit. Yep, I get the thing about the copyright and the programme will go in 8 days or so. I got the download onto a thing called KeepVid but I think even that will disappear in 8 days. I don't remember there being an option to convert it in any way. But thanks.  thankyou:1

Offline fudgietheoriginal

• Full-Time Member
Your welcome thicko :)
Lets us know what you decide to do.